Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

fatbuck,
    86A. What to expect? Big high ridge system with gravel road all the way out the point. 100% old mature oak/hickory, no thickets or fields.
    Is Not like 87 , which has some fields and cedar thicket.
    Nice scenery, good observation point to look out over Atherton Flats and Hayes Flats, Rolling Fork river bottoms, You can see for miles.

2. BowHntr

BowHntr Fawn

Nov 5, 2012
    I have a question for all the "Fort Knox" experts that deal with HC. According to the FT Knox Deer Hunting regulation, on Fridays sign ups begin at 09:00 for active duty for the weekend hunts correct? So can someone please explain to me how come an Active duty soldier, in uniform, who gets there prior to 09:30 has to stand in line behind someone who OBVIOUSLY is not Tier 1 and wait to sign into an area? (and of course the area is full by the time they get there) I know it is up to the staff at HC to monitor this, but with the crowd of people in the lobby I understand it is hard, but a little common courtesy to those in uniform from others would go a long ways.

IMO I think they should only allow access to the lobby to the Tier that is actively singing up at thier priscribed time. The next Tier should be instructed to line up outside the door till thier prescribed time.

3. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Don't get so upset, there's plenty of areas open right now. Just because Yano is full doesn't mean you can't hunt a different area......

4. 3hunters3

3hunters3 Fawn

Nov 2, 2013
    Any info on area 45

5. hammerdown

hammerdown 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2009
    nancy ky
    Got area 97 first hunt any help would be great thanks

6. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Drive about 550 yards passed where the guides meet at. Enter the woods just to the left of the maple tree with the low branch. after about 200 yards in or so start looking for an oak tree that has a broken limb hanging. ( it was there last year) When you get to that take a right up the saddle and then start to look for a bright eye that I stuck on a rub. When you get to the rub go left about thirty yrds and your see some good climbing trees.(I marked one with a piece of unused toilet paper.) Climb up and hunt that rub and you can cover about 50 yrds in every direction. Bring a acorn cruncher(walmart has some) the deer in that area love that sound, they come in on a string.

7. BowHntr

BowHntr Fawn

Nov 5, 2012
    1st off, YANO is not the area I was refering to. The point I was trying to get across is that those that are in uniform should have priority, and not have to stand in line behind those that should not be in line until it is that tiers time.

2nd off, I was not even there to sign up to hunt Knox this weekend, I was there with an active duty soldier that waited behind NON active duty hunters prior to 09:30.

But you and your 4 buddies most likely got on the area that you wanted, so good for you.

8. 5eagles5

5eagles5 Fawn

Nov 15, 2012
    Just got my packet. Area 8. Never hunted it. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Cute, but haven't climbed a tree at Knox all season. Anyhow, the point I am making is that there are areas out the wazoo to hunt on Post right now and all have deer in them so why get all wound up about it?

10. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

What should I expect on area 35 on the 11/22,23?

11. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    I am looking for some info on area 34 I know someone has a little info I got drawed for nov 22-23 hunt I know it's been gun hunted all week but still looking for some info wouldering if they have killed any bucks off of it this year.
    Thanks.

12. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I'll send you a PM

13. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    If the soldier didn't ask if others in front are tier 1, then it's on him/her. There are active duty soldiers sign up with non-tier 1 hunters all the time. So their preference would only be as high as the lowest tier member (make sense, hard to explain). There's also other tier hunters that still wear a uniform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. BowHntr

BowHntr Fawn

Nov 5, 2012
    Your right He could have asked, But should he have to? Or should the guy or gal, who knows they are not tier 1, allow him to go in front of them? And again you are correct, if a lower tier hunter will be hunting with a higher tier hunter then they are SUPPOSED to wait till the lower tiers allotted time to sign up. And the other tier hunters that still wear the uniform are slotted under Tier 3.

You can make excuses all day long, but the fact is that this morning was each hunter out for themselves and no one gave a dodo about the tier system and how it is supposed to work. It's just to bad that HC or Mil Game Wardens don't check hunters Tier category in areas that get full in the first 45 min. Because based on the Regs, only tier 1&2 should be in those areas.

15. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Sent you a PM on 45