Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 20, 2014.

1. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Folks, if you have questions, input, advice or anything pertaining to Fort Knox, this is your thread.

2. BRM

BRM Fawn

Feb 19, 2010
    Sand Gap KY
    My son is 10 yr old. Is he old enough to hunt Fort Knox? All I see in the regs are that hunters 12-16 need to have a Jr. License, deer tag and hunter ed card. My son has the hunter ed card, so my question is can I take him to Fort Knox on the youth hunt?

Thanks

3. Gobbler Getter

Gobbler Getter 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
  4. BRM

BRM Fawn

Feb 19, 2010
    Sand Gap KY
    Thank for the help!

5. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Looks like Hunt Info came out today, i see one change that i dont like right off the bat, looks like they added all retired military into the Tier 2 category. So if your like me and think that all the early gun was hurting our hunting, now it will be worse, before you only had a few tier 2, so the gun hunting was more limited in numbers, now it will be a free for all, since tier 2 will be 4 times larger category now, (if not more) Only silver lining may be that, we lose this unit from post, and the Tier 1 category will be very small ? So numbers may equal out? Thoughts?

6. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Pressure from other higher ups has been taking the management away from Fish and Wildlife. Going to make it where no civilians will want to apply for the gun hunt. All the areas will be hunted to death before they get a chance to hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Yep, things were good the way they were, until this Infantry unit showed up on post. I dont mind the Tier thing, but i think we need to go back to the old ways. Make the majority of the season as Archery, and keep the quota gun hunt portions the way they are, all i would like to see is a 4 day BP hunt in Oct, and if we really need early gun, set aside one week in late Oct for it. I dont want to see us go the way of Ft Campbell, where gun hunting starts in early Sep and goes thru the end of the year, that makes for bad hunting after the first 2-3 weeks, after the deer are spooked up and go nocturnal (and i have hunted campbell, and was stationed there) IMO: there are areas that are being overhunted (gun) here on post now, 77 is a good example. I never sign in 77 any more, always open last year and gun hunted to death. I personally prefer QUALITY over QUANTITY, and Knox is headed in the wrong direction.

8. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I agree. I usually don't complain about the way Knox does things and I'm thankful for the opportunity to hunt there but I do think this early gun hunting is hurting things. I bow and gun hunted Knox every year from the early '80s through the mid '90s and the hunting was fantastic. We always saw a ton of deer. I stopped hunting there, for no particular reason, for several years and just started back the last two years. In 2012 we bow hunted 80, only saw 4 does all weekend. They were gun hunting 77, shooting a lead mine and riding 4 wheelers everywhere. Last year we bow hunted 35 and I actually saw a few deer and took a doe but it's nothing like it was in the '90s and best I remember there was no early gun hunting back then. But it's a military post and the military runs it how they want to. I enjoy the trip so I'll probably keep hunting it as long as they'll let me.

9. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Now with all the retired military as Tier 2 hunters and scheduled Tier 1-2 Gun Hunts Oct. 29 thru Nov. 10.
    Does anybody really believe there will be any areas open for bow hunters during this "peak hunting period" ?

10. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    So you think that a Retired veteran with less than a 50% VA rating, should NOT have the same privileges as a Veteran, retired or not, who ended up with disability rating 50% or higher?

I thought the idea for putting in the early gun season was for the ACTIVE duty soldiers who were deploying, or home on R&R to have a chance to hunt and allow a greater chance of harvesting an animal in the short time they had to hunt. So I am not sure why they even allowed tier 2 hunters to participate in it anyways. Plus Tier 3 could also Bow hunt the areas open to the early gun hunts but they had to use archery equipment. So now the amount of hunters in the area isn't going to matter, but will matter is the there will be more shotgun slugs and muzzle loader sabots flying. And since there are fewer soldiers deploying, maybe they need to scale back the Gun hunts, and verify soldiers deployment orders.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  11. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    No, the tier thing i dont mind. I beleive post should get away from this early gun, period. And the early gun thing started when Cdr's from the infantry unit went to the post Cdr and had it forced upon hunt control, they just want it open to gun all the time, regardless of what HC wanted to do based on their QDM. (the way i understand it) Some of these people likely came from Ft Campbell, where Gun season runs from early Sep through Jan, and they wanted it that way here. Problem to me is, a high number of these hunters have no idea how good the hunting was on this post in the 80's and 90's, back when you could go in an area and see 30 deer a weekend, and to me more GUN hunting will not help. Now you can look forward to signing into an area, like 77 that will have been gun hunted for a month, and you will be lucky to see a deer in the daytime. Thats not good huntin to me. I have been to three places that have long gun seasons, ft campbell, alabama, and ft polk, and after the first 3 weeks of shooting, the hunting sucks, i literally hunted 9 days at ft polk one year and saw 0 deer, no good bucks all year, we dont want or need that here.

12. Gobbler Getter

Gobbler Getter 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    The info for the youth hunt is now on the Hunt Control site. 2 youth hunters on a application not 5 as previously stated. That number (5) is for the quota hunt.

13. mossyman

mossyman Fawn

Nov 6, 2008
    It seems as though a lot of things have changed since I was there, and it's not for the better. I'm sure Hunt Control is getting force fed a bunch of things they are not happy with. I do remember when I was there I drew a buck tag for what I recall was Anderson bow area(by the old golf course). When the civilian housing area took over they closed that area. I went into Hunt Control a month or two later to sign into an area and the lady remembered that I drew that buck tag and refunded my money. I know from 2006-2009 both the quality and quantity of the deer there was the best I'd ever seen anywhere. Doesn't seem to be the case nowadays...

14. BowHntr

BowHntr Fawn

Nov 5, 2012
    (This is all IMO) I don't see how the Command took the QDMA program out of the hands of HC? When FT Knox implemented the Tier system a few years back, basically all they did was give HC a criteria for each tier, and told them to open up a early gun season so Soldiers would have the opportunity to harvest a deer prior to, during, or after a Deployment. Now I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but from my research I have found out that HC gets a list of areas that are not being used for training from range control, based on that list HC opens areas to be hunted for the following week. So one would reasonably think that based on HC's QDMA observations throughout the year, if HC found an area that has a low deer population, they would leave the area closed hunting or limit the number of hunters, in that area. Now If HC found an area that the deer population is thriving, than once again you would think they would open that area more often, or allow for the early season gun hunts to take place in such areas. So unless the CMD is briefed on the years QDMA results prior to hunting season, the command really would have no idea as to why only certain areas would be open to certain types of hunting. So we can point fingers at whomever we want, but IMO both HC and Army Commanders both had good intentions, but with it not being a joint effort to make insure the program worked, is a failure on both parties. One last note, I myself I do NOT agree with, or support the early gun hunt program one bit. But, what I do support is that if a Soldier has orders showing they are deploying, home on R&R, or has just recently re-Deployed from down range, then they should be allowed to hunt with their weapon of choice, and a select few areas should set aside for those soldiers, and only those soldiers.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Have they opened up more areas since the tank unit left? How many impact areas are there left on Fort Knox? We have all seen deer heading to those impact areas once they get some pressure.