Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jerry skaggs

jerry skaggs Fawn

Oct 18, 2009
    I've been trying for about a week and a half and can't get it to open either.

2. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Same here and I can't get the ones he posted to come up either. I am glad it isn't just me.

3. sgjager

sgjager Spike

Oct 25, 2010
    Harned Ky
    Any bruiser taken on fort Knox this past weekend?

4. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    Yes there was a very big deer killed I don't know who killed it but I saw it with my own eyes and It probably scored at least 170

5. ereeder21

ereeder21 Fawn

Nov 8, 2012
    i'm going to be hunting in area 9 has any one got any info on this area

6. 72Blazerracer

72Blazerracer Fawn

Dec 4, 2011
  7. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Any info on area 21/22 would be greatful for help god bless.

8. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    We got drawn there for this weekend (24 and 25). When is your hunt?

9. midsouth_hunter

midsouth_hunter Fawn

Apr 24, 2012

I traveled from out of state and hunted at Fort Knox a couple of weeks ago. Probably one of the most difficult hunting trips I have been on in a while. I was not overly impressed with the whole operation and management of the hunt at Fort Knox. The process of signing in for areas was confusing and difficult depending on being in certain categories and when they can sign up for areas. The closing and opening of areas was confusing as well. By the time you get to know what the deer are doing in an area then it closes or it is filled for the following day because you decided to sit and hunt all morning. I beleive that Fort Knox has some really good hunting land and some quality deer but the management personnel leaves something to be desired. You have to be out of the woods by 6:00 pm and check out by 7:00 pm. I managed to take a legal buck the last 30 minutes of light on my evening hunt and by the time I found the deer, hauled it to my truck and drove to Hunt Control Office it was a few minutes past 7:00 pm. I had to listen to the jerk at Hunt Control complain about people coming in after hours with deer that was preventing him from getting off work on time. He was not helpful at all considering this was my first time of hunting on Fort Knox.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  10. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

It is what it is!!! It is an opportunity for a quality bonus deer regardless of what kind of hoops you are required to jump through. The more you hunt there the easier it will get for you. If it was your first time, you should have not expected it to be a cake walk.... It is not a guided hunt!! Hunting is not the number one priority for the military.
    Welcome to the forum!

11. bub901

bub901 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Kentucky
    Has anyone posted pictures from the Fort Knox hunt this year?

12. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Area 3 Deer

FT Knox 12 ptr 4 Nov 12 016.jpg

I took this deer from Knox, area 3, but not in the quota hunt, it was back on Sunday afternoon 4 Nov, came from 200 yards to the grunt call. Im a Tier 2 hunter, so you know. He was 21 in wide, 12 points, dressed 160. Ran and Dropped in the deepest ravine around, took us 2 hours to get out to the truck. But it was worth it.

13. JJJwalters

JJJwalters Fawn

Nov 18, 2012
  14. midsouth_hunter

midsouth_hunter Fawn

Apr 24, 2012
    I took this deer from Knox, area 3, but not in the quota hunt, it was back on Sunday afternoon 4 Nov, came from 200 yards to the grunt call. Im a Tier 2 hunter, so you know. He was 21 in wide, 12 points, dressed 160. Ran and Dropped in the deepest ravine around, took us 2 hours to get out to the truck. But it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

Area 3, then it was a gun hunt kill. I beleive I heard your shot. I was hunting area 5 at that time. Nice buck

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  15. 1sttop

1sttop 6 pointer

Jun 29, 2007
    Flaherty, KY
    That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen

I took this deer from Knox, area 3, but not in the quota hunt, it was back on Sunday afternoon 4 Nov, came from 200 yards to the grunt call. Im a Tier 2 hunter, so you know. He was 21 in wide, 12 points, dressed 160. Ran and Dropped in the deepest ravine around, took us 2 hours to get out to the truck. But it was worth it.[/QUOTE]