Fort Knox Late Season Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffcojoe, Dec 8, 2003.

1. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

If you were to go to Fort Knox for a late season bow hunting outing, what area would be your preference? I know they will be hiding in every thick cedar thicker or pine stand but what areas would be better. Are there any areas that might be open that were not open to the gun hunts?

I have a couple of vacation days to kill before years end and thought I might give the pst a late season try after seeing tales of the dismal deer harvest the past three gun hunts.

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    No areas that were'n't hunted. This year, you'll have less to pick from because of the week long Fall Turkey season. Most all areas will be open around the holidays, but some will be small game areas.

3. omega-boy

omega-boy Spike

Dec 7, 2003
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    Do you call hunt control and see what areas are open for that day to bow hunt, we have gun hunted there many years, I am not sure about bow hunting though, what would be a good area to bow hunt in?

4. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Yes, they will tell you what is open. You can call normally about a week ahead of time and get what's known to be open. Sometimes it'll change a little. My suggestion would be to hunt areas you know. It takes years to learn the good ones and not so good ones. But I normally like the low number areas the best, because I know them the best. That would be 20 and under. Everybody has their favorites.

5. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    The late season bowhunting on Knox is HARD!!!!! Think THICK cover and food sources.

I'll be out there the next two weekends myself. Good luck.

6. omega-boy

omega-boy Spike

Dec 7, 2003
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    well, I have been making notes for a few years now on the full page topo map that I have, in the last four years we have gun hunted areas 15,72,4,and 53 I did save some info on my gps in those areas. Area 53 was 4 years ago and I dont remember much about it? (it wasnt yesterday) so I dont remember?

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Area 53 is a good area. But it won't be open much. I'd only hunt 15 as a last resort. Depends on what open. good luck.

8. omega-boy

omega-boy Spike

Dec 7, 2003
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    I was just in 15 this weekend, I wont be going back there[:(!] I will black powder this weekend, I will call and check out what areas are open and when, might give it a little rest to die down some!

Thanks

9. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Area 53 is a dandy, but, hasn't been open to hunting in 15 years.[:)]
    Is closed impact area.[V]