Fort Knox Hunt Questions and Information

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by quackrstackr, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Area 1 wasn't worth the trip. 0 deer killed as of Sunday morning. Our area guides told us stories of guys seeing " big ole bucks" the first 2 weekends. One guy found a dead buck (probably a month old) and kept the rack. Our guide told us it was huge, not knowing we saw it. Probably scored 100 inches. Guess everybody's version of whats huge is different. His intentions were good, though. 3 guys in my group didn't even see a deer, not even walking around.

2. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Where there any hogs killed over in Carpenter Test zone(1 thru 5) or 6??

3. rabbit16v

rabbit16v 6 pointer

Sep 7, 2006
    Louisville
    None in 5 that I saw or heard of

4. MsDeerHunter

MsDeerHunter Fawn

Dec 12, 2007
    wow, this is a great thread.

All I can say is "More Pics Please" :D

5. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Talked to a game warden hunting in our area (area 1). He said there are no hogs on Knox --- somebody let a pig go years ago and that's how the story started. However, if you talk to our area guide, the place is crawling with hogs. Of course this is the same guy who thinks a 100 inch deer is huge. Funny stuff!

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Does anyone know what the final kill numbers were for Fort Knox this yr and how it compares to last yr.?

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Anybody see any of these rascals?

[​IMG]

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I saw lots of guys in orange but no goats!! Well one guy with a beard kinda looked and smelled like a goat.;):p:eek::D

9. odis7326

odis7326 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2007
    count of deer at fort kmox

i was told the gun total was really down and the total was only 368 deer brought in for gun season at knox found this out from one of the workers that was at the check station on knox, i remeber when the counts for past years was around 1200 to 1400 gun killed deer, at knox. it dosent mater anyway, because knox is not going to tell anybod how bad the deer heard is in anyway. end of story.........well never see the good OLE DAYS AT FORT KNOX EVER AGAIN IT OVER, AND OUT FOR THE COUNT. I EVEN HEARD SOME OF THE AREA GUIDES SAY THIS WAS THE WORST YEAR EVER THAT THEY CAN REMEMBER.:D

10. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Don't know who gave you that info. but it's way off. There were 399 checked in the first weekend of gun alone. They were very near the goals they wanted in the way of harvest. No, there are not the numbers that used to be there, but the habitat has changed and is now reverting back to mature forest. Mature forest will never be able to support the deer numbers large expanses of browse can(the type of habitat Knox was made up of in it's heyday.)

11. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Habitat change.....don't think so. Logging is premitted at Knox and is on going. In some areas, the undergrowth is too thick to walk through.

IF it were mostly mature forest habitat, it should still support 30-40 deer per sq. mile on the top end. those numbers don't exist anywhere on Knox except maybe in the closed areas.

12. odis7326

odis7326 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2007
    fort knox is one place you can kill a monster deer, but only if you can get lucky and be drawed say to hunt areas 52 144 yano range 36 places like thoes, but are allways hunted by the fort knox millarty police and by range control workers. im not conplaining, because its been that way for years. Even when i worked there for some 15 years i saw how range control would close or open a area to favor the military hunter. but what got me the most was when the third weekend game around for civilian s to hunt then just like magic, most of the good areas were closed for scouting for that weekend hunt..:(

13. odis7326

odis7326 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2007
    hey multy do you hunt ill for deer at all, do you have places for hunters from ky that go there for whiteails?

14. The numbers from the gun hunt this year were right at 800 (give or take). If memory serves me correctly, I believe last year it was around 1000-1100. However, I was told that the number of applicants was significantly lower than expected. And there was some poor weather this year.

15. Multi, what exactly is your beef with Ft Knox? I only ask because I don't recall seeing one positive post from you about the way the hunting is controlled. I can't speak for "the old days," but I can say from my personal experience that Knox is a mighty fine place to hunt. And I don't see how a two deer limit is going to eradicate a deer herd as healthy as the one Knox has.