Forecast for Rifle Season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaman, Oct 21, 2021.

1. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Photoperiodism is the same every year; the rut has a shift caused by other factors, not just the length of day, just like leaf drop. So other facts are at play.

2. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Well my point is that does will come into heat at different times on different years. The moon phase has a a lot to do with rut period. And no…. He was talking about rut variations influenced by the timing of moon phases dealing rut kickoff, roaming, chasing, and BREEDING, which involves a hot doe. I suggest you read his material again, as he formulated this theory 20 so years ago. Lots of us have hunted here for a time in KY, lots of us are educated as well. I think more than you know. All of this is theory, and all theories carry weight as just that… theories. But I can tell you that most who have hunted in KY will tell you that all aspect of the the rut shifts year to year, and the moon is to blame for many.

hunt and hoene like this.
  3. Adam Gabrielli

Adam Gabrielli 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2021
    Atlanta GA
    Yes, I know... For bucks that's true. But that isn't necessarily the case for does going into estrus. Prime example, transplanted deer from Wisconsin to Georgia and the trickle rut effect. Does going into estrus is most likely a genetic trait passed down as the result of environmental factors - i.e. extreme winter patterns cause the rut to start earlier in Northern states.

4. Adam Gabrielli

Adam Gabrielli 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2021
    Atlanta GA
    That's fine, you are free to think what you want. And I'm extremely versed in his research. You are confusing rut activity with deer movement and the moon phase. The rut happens the same time every year for a specific region. The amount of activity you see during the day vs at night is definitely dictated by the moon, but the deer don't wait on a moon phase to go into estrus. That's simply ludicrous. I asked when peak rut activity occurs in KY and EVERYONE said the same thing, the week leading up to and 1st week of gun season. I'm pretty sure from year to year the moon phases are different during those 2 weeks. But hey, agree to disagree. You hunt when and how ya want based off whatever info you believe in. I'm not gonna try to change your mind.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. Maximus

Maximus Spike

Nov 16, 2019
    Mountains
    Rifle forecast turned into this

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    It went better this year than most fwiw