Forecast for Rifle Season

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
Yes, agreed. It certainly triggers bucks to start searching. Whether that triggers a doe into estrus and on what day is still unknown..
So let’s agree that “unknown” in all reality means “very complex,” and that the moon might contribute at times, as accelerated movement might contribute to more feeding. More feeding, especially heavy acorn years/ succulent grasses, might mean more nutrients consumed and starting an estrous cycle….complex. The moon moves trillions of gallons of water everyday….I know really nothing to do with does and heat, but it has always effected this planet one way or another.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
So let’s agree that “unknown” in all reality means “very complex,” and that the moon might contribute at times, as accelerated movement might contribute to more feeding. More feeding, especially heavy acorn years/ succulent grasses, might mean more nutrients consumed and starting an estrous cycle….complex. The moon moves trillions of gallons of water everyday….I know really nothing to do with does and heat, but it has always effected this planet one way or another.

Complex? Yes. Influenced by nutrition? Sure. But enough studies have shown that does come into estrus at the same time each year within a few days, regardless of moon phase. What actually dictates that magic day is still unknown to an extent, but environment and climate are certainly key contributors.

shaman

10 pointer
We got into this discussion on another forum: how does the moon affect hunting? As patriarch of our deer camp, I keep the log. We've 20 years worth of data.

1) We have a lot more deer killed during the waxing of the moon (1st and 2nd quarters)
2) There was a bump in the days surrounding the full moon, but not what you'd call an overwhelming pattern
3) We had managed to take a deer on every day of the lunar cycle

The details are here:
Hunting the Full Moon

The bottom line in all this is that nobody should stay on the couch during a particular moon phase. Just so you know: on the Rifle Opener, we're on day 8 of the cycle. The full moon is on Friday of the first week. My guess is that this will be a good first week.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
We got into this discussion on another forum: how does the moon affect hunting? As patriarch of our deer camp, I keep the log. We've 20 years worth of data.

1) We have a lot more deer killed during the waxing of the moon (1st and 2nd quarters)
2) There was a bump in the days surrounding the full moon, but not what you'd call an overwhelming pattern
3) We had managed to take a deer on every day of the lunar cycle

The details are here:
Hunting the Full Moon

The bottom line in all this is that nobody should stay on the couch during a particular moon phase. Just so you know: on the Rifle Opener, we're on day 8 of the cycle. The full moon is on Friday of the first week. My guess is that this will be a good first week.

No argument there, fact is deer must feed 5 times a days, they have 2 main feedings and 3 subsequent feedings for brows. So, they have to be on their feet at least 2/3 of any 24 hr period. The time in which they move to feed is affected by moon phase, but you will almost always see deer in morning and late afternoon, those time periods are +/- a couple of hours depending on the moon.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I went to school and got a degree in biology... I did a project on deer movement and studied them due to the fact I was hunting in college. Do I have a PhD in deer, no, have I studied them enough to understand what dictates movement, yes...

Projects and PHD papers are debuked every day. Because you did a project on it (and every paper is biased by the one producing it) and your paper said X, and "your" research "you" provided supports it, still doesn't make it gospel. Anybody can make the research support the writers point, and with todays Libtard professors they don't press the subject cause everyone gets a participation trophy.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
I’m a member of a KY Whitetail 2015 FB group, and I have to say that picture after picture is being posted of lots of Bucky humpin. On the way home, I checked my 40’s pics, and a nose to the ground beagle tailed up buck pick. Early? Or just the “trickle rut” as predicted by the moon phase happening this year. Many Does are hot, but next year this will take place a week later according to the moon, and does will heat up accordingly. It seems that Charles Alsheimer was on to something, huh.

shaman

10 pointer
UPDATE: I've got more news on the forecast for The Rifle Opener.That rain impulse is getting stronger. The western half of the state is going to get it stronger than the eastern and northern. However, my bet is everyone is going to get wet at some point.

21openerwedder.jpg

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Projects and PHD papers are debuked every day. Because you did a project on it (and every paper is biased by the one producing it) and your paper said X, and "your" research "you" provided supports it, still doesn't make it gospel. Anybody can make the research support the writers point, and with todays Libtard professors they don't press the subject cause everyone gets a participation trophy.

Spoken like a truly uneducated person... People lie, numbers don't. But you do you man. If you have it in your head that certain times equal better success for you, have at it Hoss. My original statement in all of this was moon phase has NO influence on when a doe goes into estrus. And more biologists than not agree with that, many more.

Last edited:

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
I’m a member of a KY Whitetail 2015 FB group, and I have to say that picture after picture is being posted of lots of Bucky humpin. On the way home, I checked my 40’s pics, and a nose to the ground beagle tailed up buck pick. Early? Or just the “trickle rut” as predicted by the moon phase happening this year. Many Does are hot, but next year this will take place a week later according to the moon, and does will heat up accordingly. It seems that Charles Alsheimer was on to something, huh.

What he was on to, was deer movement and feeding patterns affected by moon phase, not does going into estrus. 2 completely different things. When weather and feeding patterns align, deer movement heats up. Couple that with bucks ramping up testosterone levels and starting to seek out does, and we see more of what us hunters call "rut activity". But when a hot doe comes into estrus, it last a day or so and the chasing of that doe is short lived as once she is receptive to a buck, she, and he, are now locked down.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Adam I have a bachelors in electrical engineering, a masters in network engineering and a masters in computer science. The last thing I am is uneducated.
I’ve been in this deer hunting game for a long time. We can agree to disagree. Anything else I say may sound like Let’s Go Brandon!

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Adam I have a bachelors in electrical engineering, a masters in network engineering and a masters in computer science. The last thing I am is uneducated.
I’ve been in this deer hunting game for a long time. We can agree to disagree. Anything else I say may sound like Let’s Go Brandon!
Well if that's the case you know darn good and well that research on animals isn't the same type of research as that of medical science or anything else. I apologize if my comment was insulting but my years of research and time spent in the woods have shown deer movements are linked to specific things. But none of them are linked to does going into estrus. Environment, genetics and nutrition are the key contributors. Again, if you have patterned your herd in a given range then you know how to hunt them. But that doesn't translate across the rest of the country. And not for nothing, but political affiliations have nothing to do with this, but I'm the farthest thing from a liberal you'll find.

Jmd

6 pointer
Sep 26, 2016
Well if that's the case you know darn good and well that research on animals isn't the same type of research as that of medical science or anything else. I apologize if my comment was insulting but my years of research and time spent in the woods have shown deer movements are linked to specific things. But none of them are linked to does going into estrus. Environment, genetics and nutrition are the key contributors. Again, if you have patterned your herd in a given range then you know how to hunt them. But that doesn't translate across the rest of the country. And not for nothing, but political affiliations have nothing to do with this, but I'm the farthest thing from a liberal you'll find.
Fellas ,it is photoperiodism, not the moon that sends the bucks into rut and the does into estrus.

Latest posts