Forecast for Rifle Season

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Tell that to the hospitals that show babies are mostly born near or on a full moon.
Seriously, there is no conclusive data that points to moon phase triggering when deer go into estrus. If there was, every fawn would be born on the same 2 dates a month apart regardless of the location.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Seriously, there is no conclusive data that points to moon phase triggering when deer go into estrus. If there was, every fawn would be born on the same 2 dates a month apart regardless of the location.
EVERY? We are talking percentages. I have pics of a fawn with spots in October, but they are few and far between. Trends do not mean all. The moon plays a part.
Since the last full moon I have seen several deer being chased. Look at the posts here. Dead deer started showing up around the last full moon.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Cha
EVERY? We are talking percentages. I have pics of a fawn with spots in October, but they are few and far between. Trends do not mean all. The moon plays a part.
Since the last full moon I have seen several deer being chased. Look at the posts here. Dead deer started showing up around the last full moon.
Chasing and rut "activity" isn't the same as a doe coming into estrus. And deer move at night, especially on certain moon phases and during temperature drops. That doesn't signal rut activity or does coming into estrus. Do some research and you'll find many studies that find little correlation between moon phase and when does come into estrus... That's just an old hunters tail my friend.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
Cha

Chasing and rut "activity" isn't the same as a doe coming into estrus. And deer move at night, especially on certain moon phases and during temperature drops. That doesn't signal rut activity or does coming into estrus. Do some research and you'll find many studies that find little correlation between moon phase and when does come into estrus... That's just an old hunters tail my friend.
I think you need to do MORE research. It is a factor. Not the only factor, but a factor none the less.

Explain why more babies are born on a full moon.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
Cha

Hunters have been trying to understand how the moon affects animal behavior since cavemen etched pictographs on cave walls. Today, biologists acknowledge a link between the full moon and estrus cycles of whitetail deer, and game departments have amassed statistical data relating deer harvests to moon phases. So when you’re scheduling your hunts this fall, look skyward for a little heavenly help.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/how-does-the-moon-affect-deer-behavior/

This has been a debate for years but the majority will agree the moon is a factor. Much more info showing the affects than otherwise.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
I think you need to do MORE research. It is a factor. Not the only factor, but a factor none the less.

Explain why more babies are born on a full moon.
I've done plenty of research bud, I went to school for it. Leading deer biologist ALL agree the moon phase has NO influence on when does go into estrus. If a given area hits peak rut on Nov 18th, it will be that way +or- a few days no matter the moon phase each year.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Hunters have been trying to understand how the moon affects animal behavior since cavemen etched pictographs on cave walls. Today, biologists acknowledge a link between the full moon and estrus cycles of whitetail deer, and game departments have amassed statistical data relating deer harvests to moon phases. So when you’re scheduling your hunts this fall, look skyward for a little heavenly help.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/how-does-the-moon-affect-deer-behavior/

This has been a debate for years but the majority will agree the moon is a factor. Much more info showing the affects than otherwise.

They are wrong, simply put. At least when it comes to the moon affecting the rut. Sure it plays a role on deer movement, but no more than weather, or a deer's stomach.

https://bowhuntersunited.com/2020/10/13/moon-affect-deer/#:~:text=Despite such findings, many hunters,activity, and especially rut activity.&text=But as much as we,research finds no supporting evidence.

https://www.deerassociation.com/no-link-moon-phase-rut-peak/

https://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/how-to-know-when-the-best-days-of-the-rut-will-be

False Theory No. 2: Moon Phase Marks the Beginning
Anything you read or hear about the moon phases kicking in the rut, don’t believe it. There is a theory out there that supports the idea that the “rutting moon” (the second full moon after the autumn equinox) influences peak breeding in the world of whitetails. But numerous studies have revealed statistical data to show there is no correlation between moon phase and the start of the whitetail rut. The QDMA recently released a study showing the data to prove this.

Last edited:

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
They are wrong, simply put.

https://bowhuntersunited.com/2020/10/13/moon-affect-deer/#:~:text=Despite such findings, many hunters,activity, and especially rut activity.&text=But as much as we,research finds no supporting evidence.

https://www.deerassociation.com/no-link-moon-phase-rut-peak/

https://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/how-to-know-when-the-best-days-of-the-rut-will-be

False Theory No. 2: Moon Phase Marks the Beginning
Anything you read or hear about the moon phases kicking in the rut, don’t believe it. There is a theory out there that supports the idea that the “rutting moon” (the second full moon after the autumn equinox) influences peak breeding in the world of whitetails. But numerous studies have revealed statistical data to show there is no correlation between moon phase and the start of the whitetail rut. The QDMA recently released a study showing the data to prove this.

Like I said, we can post article after article for and against the moon but I think there are more FOR than against. People will believe what they want....including me.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I agree it has little affect if any. Full moons and babies being born has also largely been debunked, but were not talking births anyways. We're talking breeding. Coming into estrous is a biological response to ensure fawn survival. So does that mean they're going to breed early and drop fawns in the snow because of an early full moon in October? I say no. Most in depth studies with a large sample size also say no.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
Like I said, we can post article after article for and against the moon but I think there are more FOR than against. People will believe what they want....including me.
That's cool, I'll follow the science and common sense. I posted a question about when peak rut, or chasing occurs, and everyone said the same thing. Moon phases change year to year on a given day, but deer/rut activity doesn't. Agree to disagree.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
I agree it has little affect if any. Full moons and babies being born has also largely been debunked, but were not talking births anyways. We're talking breeding. Coming into estrous is a biological response to ensure fawn survival. So does that mean they're going to breed early and drop fawns in the snow because of an early full moon in October? I say no. Most in depth studies with a large sample size also say no.
EXACTLY! Estrus cycles, like that of a woman, also follow a pattern. There are studies that have shown deer mirror cycles like that of women who spend lots of time together. This is nature's way of ensuring reproduction happens at the opportune time to ensure fawn survival. And reoccurs at the same time year after year, mainly driven by genetics.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
That's cool, I'll follow the science and common sense. I posted a question about when peak rut, or chasing occurs, and everyone said the same thing. Moon phases change year to year on a given day, but deer/rut activity doesn't. Agree to disagree.
I agree. It happens the same few weeks but certain days are better than others. I'm not saying I am a "moon follower" but I do think it's a factor.

Personally, I think the time of year and the barometric pressure is more of a factor. The moon plays a factor in daylight/dark movement and there's enough studies to suggest that it plays a factor in the cycle of females, of any species.

Adam Gabrielli

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2021
Atlanta GA
I agree. It happens the same few weeks but certain days are better than others. I'm not saying I am a "moon follower" but I do think it's a factor.

Personally, I think the time of year and the barometric pressure is more of a factor. The moon plays a factor in daylight/dark movement and there's enough studies to suggest that it plays a factor in the cycle of females, of any species.
I think people confuse rut activity, or that of a buck, with actual rut cycles. Moon phase and weather definitely dictate deer movement - like when we see deer on their feet. So when does are active, bucks are more prone to be as well, in search of receptive does. But that doesn't mean does are "hot" yet. Bucks will travel miles at a time during the weeks of prime rut in search of hot does. That of course will be influenced by weather and moonnphase to an extent. So I'm not saying the moon doesn't influence deer movement during the rut, I'm just saying it has no impact on when does actually go into estrus.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
I think people confuse rut activity, or that of a buck, with actual rut cycles. Moon phase and weather definitely dictate deer movement - like when we see deer on their feet. So when does are active, bucks are more prone to be as well, in search of receptive does. But that doesn't mean does are "hot" yet. Bucks will travel miles at a time during the weeks of prime rut in search of hot does. That of course will be influenced by weather and moonnphase to an extent. So I'm not saying the moon doesn't influence deer movement during the rut, I'm just saying it has no impact on when does actually go into estrus.

I can't disagree with that. I've been trying to watch and pay attention to the moon, pressure, weather. I think the moonlight causes more night activity, but not sure I can prove that if the sky is overcast.
Been reading and looking at stuff like this for years then I will see deer on the days where forecasts say it's a "dead period". It's just difficult to say.
I haven't found anything concrete that says it does or doesn't play a factor but I find it all interesting so I'll keep watching.
I will say I've always heard more births happen on the moon but I've seen articles pro and against that. I'll say that everyone I know in healthcare says it's a factor....but I realize that's not "Internet documented".

Latest posts