For you LR turkey snipers

I think it speaks to a larger problem of folks nowadays not wanting to walk away beaten. They are determined to shoot - that “I had to try him” mentality.

But it’s more than that unfortunately. A buddy and I were talking about this the other day. We’ve seen quite a bit of poor shooting by “younger” folks (30s and below). I think it comes down to not understanding the gun they’re using.

On small game they don’t consider trying to take the best shot or passing on a shot. Their mentality is to cover up the animal with the bead and pull the trigger. My friend calls it “miss or mush” shooting. They either miss it all together or turn whatever they are shooting at into mush where it’s not fit to eat.

And suggesting they can aim for the head with a shotgun even at running game is a completely foreign concept to them.

I can remember some of the worst looks of pure contempt I have ever received as a kid from my dad were when making poor, meat ruining shots on game animals.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I think it speaks to a larger problem of folks nowadays not wanting to walk away beaten. They are determined to shoot - that “I had to try him” mentality.

But it’s more than that unfortunately. A buddy and I were talking about this the other day. We’ve seen quite a bit of poor shooting by “younger” folks (30s and below). I think it comes down to not understanding the gun they’re using.

On small game they don’t consider trying to take the best shot or passing on a shot. Their mentality is to cover up the animal with the bead and pull the trigger. My friend calls it “miss or mush” shooting. They either miss it all together or turn whatever they are shooting at into mush where it’s not fit to eat.

And suggesting they can aim for the head with a shotgun even at running game is a completely foreign concept to them.

I can remember some of the worst looks of pure contempt I have ever received as a kid from my dad were when making poor, meat ruining shots on game animals.
I've missed quite a few rabbits by trying to shoot them in the head. I'd rather miss than blow them to smithereens.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
I always hear the comparison of TSS 9's and lead 5's, anyone ever weighed those individual pellets?

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Would like to have seen this done with Ballistic Gel, and also showed data using #7s. To many variables involved with cardboard, and drywall.

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
What I posted in the TSS thread from
A very knowledage source

fwiw:

""""""here's a comparison of pellets of various shot material. Let's say that each pellet is going 1100 fps (muzzle velocity), at sea level and at 70 deg F. Here's the distance each type pellet will give you 1.25" of ballistics gel penetration, as well as showing the number of pellets per ounce. When you think about the penetration per pellet along with the number of pellets available to penetrate the target, these numbers will illustrate why density makes such a huge difference in a shotshell's performance on fowl.
8g/cc Steel #2 (123/oz) – 45.7 yds
11g/cc Nickel Plated lead #5 (174/oz) – 60.4 yds
12g/cc Hevi-13 #6 (208/oz) – 60.4 yds
15g/cc Fed HWT #7 (220/oz) – 81 yds
18g/cc TSS #8-1/2 (300/oz) – 84.5 yds

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Turkey is getting like Waterfowl. Nobody wants to work them to get closer. Finish the Birds. Shoot long shots. Me I like to get them close. Ive had them to hang at 60 plus and walk off. Ill relocate try again or try next day where he hung up at. Fooling and calling a Bird I enjoy. Killing is a bonus.
I know sometimes an Ole Tom will hang up at longer yards. Ive killed them at 50 yards dead with 3 inch lead 5s. Ill shoot lead 5s and 6s when I do go for Turkey.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
Like said ,most think if you don’t kill,then you’ve failed ,there’s plenty game animals killed at ridiclous distances.If you know your gun and range ,you kill one at long range,that’s fine.Not all people will put the time and effort ,to learn their gun and it’s range.I‘ve only used the heavyweight ,in #5 and they flat mowed down the blackberry briers all around .When the shot pattern gets out say sixty yards ,does the shot scatter out ,and with that type of penetration ,wonder how many birds get hit ,and maybe die of infection later.Not knocking the way anyone hunts,enjoy it anyway you can,just thinking out loud ,I guess I just like fooling a tom to come in close.I guess a feller better make sure ,there’s plenty room apart.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
"9's weigh 1.2grs. 9.5's weigh 1gr. Diameter 0.08”
No.5 lead shot 2.6gr diameter .12”

Less surface area and less deformation due to hardness makes for deeper penetration and more velocity at distance.
So, would energy per pellet be more with the 5's since they weigh twice as much?

My last 4 birds I've shot with TSS and it definitely kills the snot out of them, but they've all been 20-30 yards, so that's not much of a distance test. TSS definitely puts more holes in a piece of paper at 50 yards.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Shooting TSS is no different than a man shooting premium bullets in deer season. No such thing as a magic bullet, but better is better, regardless, every time. I'm a TSS proponent, but not because of long range. It's simply the best shot available to kill a turkey with
IMG_20180408_080544939_copy_1202x2137_1.jpg
. My first TSS bird, 7 years ago. 25 yards.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Shooting TSS is no different than a man shooting premium bullets in deer season. No such thing as a magic bullet, but better is better, regardless, every time. I'm a TSS proponent, but not because of long range. It's simply the best shot available to kill a turkey with View attachment 98844 . My first TSS bird, 7 years ago. 25 yards.
Damn. I don’t know if I wanna do that or not. I still like havin the head in-tack. Lol.
But I’m like you it’s not about how far. It’s just the best and more expensive. I’ll still shoot lead. Guarantee that. Tss is really for your sub-gauges in my opinion. 20 gauge makes 12 look like a sissy and .410 also.
But whatever ya know. I rolled my own tss other day. That’s what I’ll be shooting this spring like last spring I killed one at 35 and 52 yards. But none the less I love how people think that shooting tss at Turkey is for long range. It’s the new fad. But really it’s not new.
For me it’s sending more pellets down range shooting 9’s tss versus 6 lead. All it takes is 1 pellet right.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Damn. I don’t know if I wanna do that or not. I still like havin the head in-tack. Lol.
But I’m like you it’s not about how far. It’s just the best and more expensive. I’ll still shoot lead. Guarantee that. Tss is really for your sub-gauges in my opinion. 20 gauge makes 12 look like a sissy and .410 also.
But whatever ya know. I rolled my own tss other day. That’s what I’ll be shooting this spring like last spring I killed one at 35 and 52 yards. But none the less I love how people think that shooting tss at Turkey is for long range. It’s the new fad. But really it’s not new.
For me it’s sending more pellets down range shooting 9’s tss versus 6 lead. All it takes is 1 pellet right.
If they ever come down to non-ridiculous prices, I'll give them a try. When I finally make the switch from 12 to 20, I'll most likely make the switch then. I'm not going to carry this 935 cannon forever.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
One of my most memorable hunts was two years ago when a bird pitched off and landed behind me. I was froze because he was coming in from my left side. I was already in shooting position and he passed beside me and gobbled and drummed just beyond arms reach and continued to walk to the end of my gun barrel and shot him no more than 5 steps…. You just can’t get that rush at 70 yards.

Latest posts