For the beekeepers

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by rcb216, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM.

1. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Some of those bees looked like they were fighting.

3. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Looks like he may have one. Either that or a local hive is robbing from that hive. Could suit up and open it up and check too. If they are in there, I'd close it up, keep feeding em and give a week to 10 days then go in again and find the queen and make sure she's laying. He'll have to feed that hive as the main flow is bout over. Good Luck!

rcb216 likes this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    That is about the same thing I told him. But I don’t know much more the he does. Want your guys opinion. I have never seen anything like they was doing. Kinda outta my expertise. I’ll see if there behavior changes tomorrow and get another video if I have time.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    So is the hive empty? Just using it to feed with?

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    He just put it there a few weeks ago in hopes of catching a late swarm. Been putting sugar water out to feed neighboring wild bees. He called me today to see what I thought. Normally there is only a few bees getting a drink then flying off. Never this. He wasn’t sure about it. Looks like some are coming in and out like a regular hive. But some seem like they are fighting. And some are almost bearding like they have a Queen they are protecting. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Fighting is bees from different colonies. He’s feeding every colony in a 2.5 mile radius. Reason for more bees is dearth is setting in. Not much natural nectar now. Couple weeks ago there was still a flow. They weren’t too concerned about sugar water. They go for what’s the best and that will be natural first. Notice how they are bunching up on the corners of those feeders. If they start to leak and drip to the outside it’s like ringing a bell to other bees. That’s how robbing starts. Let’s say he did have a colony in that box and it wasn’t a strong hive. It would get overrun and they would take everything from them. And in the process possibly killing the queen. Go back tomorrow and if there is still feed the number off bees will probably be doubled in size.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  8. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Bees eating the easy food supply. I would remove the sugar water and open the hive to see what is inside.

I know of one woman who has a humming bird feeder up and it is covered with bees . Birds can not use the feeder at all because it is covered with bees. We have Humming bird feeders out but they are not fancy but we have no bees at those feeders. I have 5 hives of bees about 200 ft from these feeders.

9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Your hummingbird bird feeders aren’t leaking. Hers is.

Drahts likes this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I don't know but I think it is the way her feeder is made.
    [​IMG]

Nock likes this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have 4 hummingbird feeders within 50yds of my hives and not a bee on em, but I am still feeding my bees as they are 2 new Nucs as of mid June, and I do still have some nectar flow as my clover is blooming again, my buckwheat is pretty much done, but my wildflower patch is still going strong and will til late Sept. So long as we get some rain every lil bit there will be some natural from that patch and the bees are on it heavy. Actually found some sourwood blooming yesterday too. My bees are still coming in with dusty faces and pollen packs on their legs. Saw a lot of orange packs this morning.

12. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Wife washed all our hummingbird feeders this morning. She noted how one was full of sweat bees but none of the others where. All where same type but diff colors. Maybe a certain color? None seem to have any honeybees swarming them.

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Been seeing that orange pollen here as well.

Drahts likes this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    If it is pure buckwheat , I am sure you can mow and harrow it lightly and it will come back and bloom again. I know my son had a acre of it by his bees and that is what he did .
    I scattered some Buckwheat close by my bees in a 10th of a acre plot a couple weeks ago and it is starting to bloom . It does have grass and weeds but lots of Buckwheat.

Nock likes this.