For Sale: Hunting Lease

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Rut-n-Strut, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    A buddy of mine asked me to post an ad for those interested in leasing property to hunt (he doesn't do computers). He owns a couple hundred acres in Owen County near Perry Park. There is an old house on the property that would sleep quite a few people.

I rode the property a year or two ago. It is a combination of woods and fields in hilly terrain. There is a very large, flat creek bottom. That spot is really cool! He's asking $7,000 for the lease.

Besides that, I don't know many other details at this point. If you have specific questions, I can certainly ask or provide you his number.

UPDATE: I posted details below and pictures on page 2 of this thread

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Are there food plots or cattle on the property?

3. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I'm sorry I didn't get notifications of responses earlier. I talked to the land owner again tonight. There are food plots but no cattle on the property.

He leased it through Whitetail Properties last year to a guy in Georgia for the $11,000. He's willing to drop the price though since it's late in the year. Again, if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to ask him or provide you his phone number.

4. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Here's some more detailed information:
    234 Acres
    12 bunk beds in the house
    2 Food Plots (we split a seed order. I believe it's planted in Hancock Seed's Winter Greens Mix if I recall correctly)
    20 Acres of Bottom land with a nice size creek
    3 ponds (1 fishing pond)
    The lease would be through turkey season
    No cattle

My friend owns several properties along the road this is on. He told me he just leased one property that's 92 acres (approximately 60 acres of field) for $2,000. I'm not sure if anyone has ever been to Perry Park, but this is real close to that. I've hunted another piece of ground he has near this piece. There are large numbers of deer there - more than where I hunt on the other side of the county.

There was a large group (10 or 12 hunters I think) a couple years ago that leased it as a group. They leased it a long, long time. This past year, a guy from Georgia then leased it and had a feeder. He's going to send me pictures of the 2 food plots tonight I think. He has some buck pictures from last year from the former leasee I think too. Owen County had been number 1 in harvests for years, but I think they were number 2 last year.

On a side note, I would never lease my land again. I've had several bad apples in the past. Let's just say I had to bulldoze the home (a fairly nice, modest size home) and spend a 100 degree day picking up diapers to haul to the dump. $1,000 or whatever someone suggested isn't worth the time or aggravation. I understand if you think it's a lot of money to hunt. It is. Owning and leasing ground is too though. Perhaps he will come off his number a bit. I don't know. If interested, you could speak to him directly. I'm just trying to do him a favor by advertising it here.

barney and carnivore like this.
  5. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Wow, $40,000 is a large chunk of money! That must have been quite a privledge to hunt it for so long without paying! I'm sure some good times were had there! I agree that it would be nice to have lots of land for every hunter. "Progress" leads to increased populations and ironically higher taxes. Most landowners made their income with farming, tobacco, horses, etc. in years past. Deer, rabbit or other forms of hunting was something that helped the landowners (or was neutral) That's not the case so much today. Everybody wants to sue, so at the very least you have to have insurance on anyone on the place. It's hard to keep a farm without some sort of income, but those sources are dwindling. Hard to fault landowners for finding ways to keep the farm.

6. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
  7. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
  8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Thats just freaking crazy!!! 40k 800 acres! Before I pay thousands of dollers just to lease a small tract of land I will quit. Has nothing to do with if I coud afford it or not its just the thought of it. I will buy land before I pay that price! 7000k for 200acres too high imo. But I understand the land owners point and respect there choice. Heck I might just start buying up some farms and start leasing them out If I could get that kinda money every year my bank note would be paid for if I had ot borrow the money. If the farm cost half a million on a 30 yr note the year payments would equal less then 30k i think. HA

9. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    It is a lot of money. With that said, there’s a lot of money spent to maintain it, interest on the loan, taxes, tractors and implements, etc. not to mention time spent doing all that work. I can’t fault you or anyone that wouldn’t pay it but I can’t blame the landowners that get it either. You know what they say, they arent making any more land!

barney and carnivore like this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Would love to find a 100 ac for the wife and I and would have no problem paying a couple Grand for the right property.

11. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I sent you a PM. He has several pieces of ground in Owen County. Not sure what may be available for a hunting lease. Might be worth a call though. Can’t hurt.

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Thanks for the info..

13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Are you looking for a full years lease or just for deer season?

14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Normally I lease for deer season only , but most leases I have done are year to year