Food plot question

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Jacobhwrd, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Food plots

We are looking to get several food plots going this year but not sure how to go about it. What can we plant that will produce from summer through the season? And when should we start planting? Can we plant multiple things in the same field and have them all come up throughout the season or does it all have to be separated? Any information will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    There is a lot of good information in the Habitat improvement section.

3. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Don't think I have even opened that one before. I will give it a look. Thanks.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Double post deleted

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Clover is a great option for about 8-10 months worth of use. Soybeans are a great option if you have enough acreage to plant so they actually have a chance to make bean pods. I like to overseed my beans with a mix of wheat, daikon radishes and purple top turnips in august just when the leaves start to change color. You can do the same thing with corn as well but I favor beans. Another option is to plant clover and then overseed it with the same mix which will carry the clover through the cold dormant months.

6. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Total we are doing about 10 acres but the largest single plot will be about 4 acres. If the clover is good that long then I will give it a go. I am just worried I will have a good crop at the start of the season and then it will all be gone and we will have nothing to hunt over for the remainder. When you say overseed you mean mix that in when you plant your clover?

7. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
  8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Take into account what is available around you. Fill the gaps in the food sources. Planting one thing is usually not the best option unless that is the only thing you are missing in the area. A variety is the best. If you aren't overrun by deer a soybean plot could work. It's great for summer and late winter. Clover is great for spring thru late fall with the exception of extreme heat or drought in summer. Oats and brassicas are good for later winter. Create natural browse.

Also keep in mind in most places in ky food is not the limiting factor. Creating good cover can do as much if not more for your deer herd than a lot of food plots. And usually done cheaper with little upkeep.

9. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    We have a ton of deer on our farm. Our issue is trying to thin out some of the doe. It's not unusual for me to see 8-9 doe pass the any given stand in the morning. Our bucks are hit or miss from year to year but we have 2 that we have been waiting on for about two years now and as long as they made it last season we are wanting to give them as much growth potential as we can. I am pretty sure we took out the doe that keeps pumping out twins every year too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    The vast majority of healthy does will pop out twins. Just keep after them and bring in some youth to shoot some.

11. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Did not know that. We are going after them as much as we can (my brothers and I). We have another 3 years before all of our nieces and nephews start getting old enough for tags. They go with us now and already love it. Hopefully that passion continues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk