Food plot problems

hondo1892

6 pointer
Dec 20, 2014
North of Lake Cumberland
Hey guys I put out some daikin radish and turnips like I usually do. However this year after about four weeks of growth bad things started happening. About three weeks back I had dead patches and today when I walked up and checked on it the leaves had tiny hole all over. Are these holes from bugs, worms or mites? Is there any thing I can spray the plot with to get rid of the vermin or is it to late?

hunter40502

10 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
Hey guys I put out some daikin radish and turnips like I usually do. However this year after about four weeks of growth bad things started happening. About three weeks back I had dead patches and today when I walked up and checked on it the leaves had tiny hole all over. Are these holes from bugs, worms or mites? Is there any thing I can spray the plot with to get rid of the vermin or is it to late?

Bummer. One thing you may consider doing is overseeding generously with winter rye. It may save your fall, and not too expensive.

hondo1892

6 pointer
Dec 20, 2014
North of Lake Cumberland
It's not army worms because my winter wheat and rye mix next to the radish/turnips is fine. May have had a bad bag of seed with something bad in it. I heard that it does happen. Hunter if things keep going like they are I probably will throw some rye on the patch.

hunter40502

10 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
It's not army worms because my winter wheat and rye mix next to the radish/turnips is fine. May have had a bad bag of seed with something bad in it. I heard that it does happen. Hunter if things keep going like they are I probably will throw some rye on the patch.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Hope you get the buck you want!!!

rlb165

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
I’ve read that planting brassicas in the same spot in consecutive years can cause disease and pest issues.
Could that be the problem?

Edit to add: I agree with above winter rye recommendation.
Good luck

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
We have one of the biggest, and unrelenting infestations of diamondback moths this year that I have ever saw. I would wager that their larvae is what is eating your plot up.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Actually I moved my radish to another area this year. Barney do you know what kind of insecticide to use for the moth larvae.
A BT product if you're looking for an organic option, or just about any other off the shelf insecticide if it doesn't matter. You can still buy Carbaryl in gallons fairly cheap, but they phased it out for homeowners. The red bottles of Sevin on the shelves now isn't Carbaryl anymore.

Campfire

6 pointer
Oct 24, 2019
Camp
I planted radishes last week. I think waiting a bit on brassicas is prudent.
I hope your right. I sewed mine last week of September which is later than I usually do but planting dates on bag says it is ok. I do think if they can grow long enough before frost prolly better off than planting early.

flyingnectar

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2014
Metcalfe County

Well I would say it could be flea beetles, if so they will not kill your plot. Take some pics. The flea beetles are tiny and all you notice is small bite holes but the plants usually pull through and they disappear.

hondo1892

6 pointer
Dec 20, 2014
North of Lake Cumberland
Checked my food plot this morning and my rye/wheat patch was looking poor in spots. First bad spot I looked in I found two army worms right off. Went and picked up some worm killer and plan on spreading it tomorrow. Much of my radish patch is ruined but hopefully I can save the winter rye/wheat.

Latest posts