FOC??

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by raktrakr, Jan 6, 2020.

1. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    ok, Ive been off the internet world of bowhunting for quite some time now, recently Ive been interested in another form of archery and have noticed a “new” trend. Whats up with this new fascination of FOC??? Ive bowhunted for 30 years or better and have known, as Im sure most of you veterans, about the importance of FOC, but for some reason now its a trendy topic. Have I missed something?

2. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008

At some point whitetails have evolved so that their shoulder covers the entire vitals and you're not getting in there with out 100gr brass inserts and 200gr single bevel 2 blades.

Seriously, For years there's been deer shot on TV with large mechanical, light arrow, light energy, poor flying set ups that get 1/2 arrow penetration in the ribs. Now there's a trend pushing back the other direction with these high FOC set ups.

3. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I've been tinkering with higher FOC recently. I've not had issues with penetration, other than a brief stint with mechanicals 10+ years ago. FOC, to me, means accuracy, and more arrow weight. Maybe the current trend of shooting longer ranges while hunting has led to the light coming on in the hunting world.

Southpaw likes this.
  4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I'm around 13.5% FOC. Wouldn't be apposed to going higher with some FACT inserts. Especially if I swap in my nockturnals. Randy Ulmer has some good videos on FOC.

5. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    I quit watching celebrity hunting a long time ago, I did however get the bug and watched a few several months back and noticed these guys were hardly ever getting complete pass throughs like they used to, and quickly noticed they all use mechanicals.

RLWEBB likes this.
  6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Agree with all you said. Been watching a lot of elk hunting shows lately and am surprised at the bowhunters using mechanical heads. I’m no elk expert but I’ve killed two with a bow and got complete pass thrus on both using Magnus Stinger 4 blades on a 500 grain arrow. I’d never chance shooting an elk with a mechanical.

bearleft and barney like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have no idea what my FOC is. Don’t really care. If an arrow flies true, it will kill. I completely agree on mechanicals. No good for elk.

8. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Alot of dead elk out there would disagree...
    Several ways to skin a cat

Bowonly86 likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We've seen a lot of good elk lost with them... They aren't good for elk.... Outfitters out West won't even allow them.

10. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Im strickly fixed blade. I have used rage and other exandables over the years and never seen the benefit. A well placed shot is alot more important then the broadhead your shooting. I once killed a mature buck with a field tip. He didnt go prolly 50 yards either and piled up. Granted it was by mistake but it still worked thanks to a well placed shot. When it comes to FOC i think a good paper tune is just as important as your arrow and breadhead setup. For maximum penitration you must have straight true arrow flight. Then once thats done a good FOC comes in. I currenty shoot gold tip 340 spline arrows with 75 grain muzzys out of a 70lb bow with IBO speeds above 330. It will flat send a arrow through a deer like hot butter. An if your shooting a dual cam bow its also important to keep the timing of the cams in check. I never had to worry about that shooting solo cams up to the last couple years when i started shooting dual cam bows. Getting a bow to kill a deer is pretty easy. But getting everything optimal takes a little effort. I try to shoot atleast a few times a week 365 days a year. An have to say practice is the best tool i have when it comes to archery. So many people buy the latest and greatest go shoot it a week or two before season a few times and then put it back up till season rolls back around. While this works for some i choose to take it to the next level because i love archery. I would still shoot my bows even if i didnt hunt with them. Hopefully this is the year i get drawn to try to my luck at elk hunting. Archery elk hunting has always been a dream of mine.

Meatstick likes this.
  11. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I shot 4 deer this year with rage hypodermics at various ranges all complete pass thrus and watched every deer fall 3 of the four the arrow penatrated both front shoulders I shoot a 75 pound vertix and victory sport 300 spine shafts 392 grain total weight if I were hunting game larger than elk I would be more concerned with foc but for shooting whitetail it’s not that big of a deal imo unless you are shooting a trad bow then anything you can do to gain penetration is worth the extra work and expense

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  12. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    The benefit of a mechanical is the size of the wound channel and much better blood trails I switched this year and was very impressed with the results I shot muzzy for years and killed a bunch of deer with them but a lot of the blood trails even on good shots were less than impressive I will never go back to a fixed head