Fly Line

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by 4UK, Aug 10, 2015.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Looking to purchase some decent flyline for my reel, Ive not used it in years any suggestions on brand and stuff these days? Doesnt have to be the best just a decent line . Also decent leader line as well. I will be using it in rivers mostly .. Thanks for the replies.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Hard to beat the old standby Cortland 777 line and for leaders a small spool of 4 lb test mono works. Guys seem to want to get fancy when the old stuff still works well.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I too would suggest Cortland .... their 333 series in trout-yellow / floating is pretty much a general purpose fly line. I looked at some not too long ago .... seemed like around $30.

Scientific Angler - Air Cell is what I'm running now ... and I have no real complaint. But with any ... a little dressing every so often will extend the life drastically. Which there's a boo-koo of fly lines out there at any price your willing to pay. However for around here .... creeks , ponds or lakes ... the cheaper stuff does fine. Might upgrade to a higher end or specialty line if I were to get serious to go out west or Alaska but that would be an exception.

I too agree on using 3-4# mono as tippet or leader on most occasion if your fishing for gills or bass.... cheaper route. But for trout I use Cabelas prestige tippet. Bought an assortment few years ago 2x, 3x, 4x & 5x along with leaders.... no complaints there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  4. byrdland

byrdland Fawn

Nov 20, 2013
    I like Scientific Anglers Mastery Series or Wulff Triangle Taper if you're fishing cold water rivers for trout with small flies, nymphs, etc.

5. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For economy, I usually buy a double taper floating line. If you wear one end out, you can reverse it on the spool. Cortland and Scientific Angler are the usual brands I buy.