Florida keys?? Anyone been there ?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by nontypical, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nontypical

nontypical 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2005
    paducah,ky
    Wife and I are thinking about going to Florida keys for our anniversary end of next month. Anyone been there and have any input on where to go and what to do? Or not a good place to vacation? Any experiences or info will be helpful.

2. A bunch of us drove to Key West from Orlando in 1988, while in school in the Navy. After getting our pic made at the southern most point in continental US, we hit a few bars. As we had one beer at each bar, we noticed a LOT of men staring at us. Point is, we got in the cars and headed back to Miami-South Beach, having spent all of 2 hours in Key West. Maybe it has changed since then. I remember it was January, but seemed like it was overrun with feminine men.

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    If you go around Halloween leave the kids at home, it's adults only. Other than that it's a great place to visit.

4. oatbill

oatbill Fawn

Aug 5, 2012
    Been to Key West twice and loved it both times. Never spent any time at the other keys but did spend a few days hiking through the 'glades' which are about 2ish hours from Key West. Alligators and airboats are always fun. I recomend everyone visit the Everglades while they are still there, truly an amazing ecosystem.

5. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Key West is ok, just check dates , I think they have "Gay Days" just like alot of places now, including Disney World. A buddy of mine made that mistake and took his 7 yr old to Disney World during a gay day, that took some explaining why men were holding hands. This country has gone to hell.

6. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I heard Key West is like the gay capital of the world. Nothing but gay Cuban's and surrounded by water on all sides? Shoooooot, you can have that!

7. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Key west is a nice place to visit if getting drunk with a bunch of senior citizens and/or uber-gay dudes is your thing. Very strange place.

8. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I've had my wife meet me in Miami after a couple of business trips and drove down for the weekend. Plenty of stuff to do and everyone's in a party mood. Despite warnings and ribbing from friends, we didn't notice an unusual amount of gays. Maybe just our timing or our choice of resturants,bars & attractions? We also took a cruise that stopped in Key West for a few hours but we just went to the Hogs Breath Saloon and drank until going back to the ship.

Overall, we had fun on all visits but don't expect lots of sandy beaches or easy beach access. They're available but much more limited than I expected before my first visit. Also, I recommend driving out of Miami instead of flying all the way into Key West. I guess it's about a three hour drive but the views are awesome.

9. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I spent a lot of time in the Keys when I was living in Ft. Myers. Good fishing, great seafood, lots of drinking. Stay away from Key West. I was in Islamorada most of the time. Very laid back atmosphere.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I spend a lot of time in S. Florida but have never been to the Keys. Everyone who goes tells me there isn't much in the way of beaches and I'm kind of a "beach bum" when I'm on vacation. It's more of a partying type place with lots of night life which I get burned out on in a day or two. I want to visit but I want to take the boat from Naples or Ft. Myers. Even from Naples it is a 5 hour drive by vehicle.

11. Went in January for my honeymoon in '09. Hardly any gay people(that I could tell, some of you may pick up on that stuff a little better haha). We ate good, drank a lot(well, I did anyway), and...had a good time. Plenty to do in the Keys, we plan on going to back in a year of two for the Sail and Sword fish run in January.

12. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

You're Gaydar must be defective. Or it may be that you just don't recognize the signals from your Gaydar. That prickly feeling in your spine when you encounter a funny looking fella at the local boat ramp (who doesn't have a boat or any fishing gear).... That's your Gaydar going off.

13. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    +1 Its like early warning radar.
    [​IMG]

14. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    The Keys is where we went for our honeymoon five years ago. Stayed at The Cheeca Lodge the last week of September.

Key West is about it as far as stuff to do. Think a small neighborhood with a main street with shops and bars. Chickens roam the streets. We didn't have any problem with gays but it is pretty boring.

At that time of year (again last week of Sept.) the fishing sucked. We went out on a charter and didn't catch much. A few small mangrove snapper was about it. In-shore might have been better but we didn't try it.

We rented kayaks two days and paddled around in the mangroves. Mosquitos are ridiculous. Went out to Lignum Vitae Key to see the old house and what a key looked like before they were all cleared. Mosquitos nearly killed us. Found out that mosquitos are why the keys were cleared of all their trees. Cleared them off so the wind would blow across them and blow away the little beastys.

That time of year there is hardly anybody down there. Restaraunts are empty.

There is a Bass Pro. It was probably one of the more interesting things to do. That and we snorkled out on the coral reefs. That was actually very nice. Saw some bull sharks and parrot fish, big brain coral and elkhorn corals. Neat stuff.

Everglades are something to see I guess. Think giant field of brown grass (Sept) with water here and there. A few pine and palm hummocks here and there too. Mosquitos rampant there too.

Nashville to Miami Int is like an hour and a half flight. The drive from Miami to the upper keys is about 2.5 hours. Highway one has a speed limit of 25 in some places (deer key, though never did see any of those midget deer).

I'd go to fish and try to go when the fishing is good. Nothing else was all that spectacular.

(South Beach is like another country. They can't understand you and you can't understand what they are saying. We found very few people who spoke English there. No topless or good lookign women either as I was lead to believe.)

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Dude, that is a bad choice of words given the topic.