Florida Bound

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Xi Bowhunter, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    The countdown begins. I'll be on the road to Florida in less than 24 hours.:) You should see my fishing bag, it weighs about 35 pounds. We will fish mainly from the beach for whatever will bite, but I do plan on making it to the State Park (St. Andrews) to fish the point for Spanish and kings, and we will take our annual 12 hour deep sea trip too.

This is not where we are staying, but it is close. Live view of the beach today with no oil and no June grass!
    http://www.regencytowers.net/live-beachcam

2. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I'm headed that way in a few weeks while my daughter is on fall break. I don't have enough room to haul fishing gear, unfortunately.

3. BurleyDog

BurleyDog 10 pointer

Jul 4, 2007
    sounds awesome. I hope you have good luck

4. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    There is ALWAYS room for fishing gear.;) Do what I do and strap the rods to the roof! Seriously, I got a section of 6" PVC and capped both ends with rubber caps, and I use BPS velcro straps to cinch it to the roof rack. It looks like the wife's Hyundai Touscon has a 6 foot bazooka strapped to the roof.

5. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Have a blast XI!!

6. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I think the airlines might have something to say about that.....

Initially, I wasn't going to go so the wife bought cheap plane tickets for she and the daughter so that she wouldn't have to drive for 10 hours. The tickets that she bought are non-refundable so now that I am going, I just bought another ticket to fly with them instead of driving down by myself.

Usually, my wife has our SUV so cram packed with their entire wardrobe that there's not room for a tackle box, much less a cooler to haul fish back home in. I'm still debating on whether or not I'll do a charter this time around since I don't have any way to bring anything back.

7. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I hate that for you buddy. All that water, and no way to fish. I think I would have a high-speed come-apart. Have fun on your trip and be safe.

8. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.

I've flown from Florida back with fish before in a cooler. Bring a roll of duct tape to the airport with you to seal it up after they look inside when you're checking in. Use cool packs in stead of ice to keep it cold. Realistically, you're only going to have it in a cooler a few hours, so even if it melts a little, and you re-freeze it'll be fine.

9. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I bet that was back before the days before they started charging an arm and a leg for each piece of luggage.

10. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    That's true... Last time I did it was in October of 01, and I don't think the extra luggage fee then was more than $5 or $10.

11. Good luck down there. Next time I head to the beach(next summer) I'm taking fishing gear for sure. Even if it means the wife can only pack enough cloths to last 6 months(for a one week trip) Plus the limited room will help keep her shopping trips to a minimum

12. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Sounds like our wives must be related somewhere down the line..

13. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    I used to go down there, We used to go bass fishing down at Lake Okechobee.

But now we just go to Lake Guntersville, in Alabama.

14. taxidervin

taxidervin Spike

Sep 20, 2002
    I am heading to Gulf Shores, AL about 50 miles west of Panama City FL, next Friday, 9/24 for a week. Any advice on fishing, where, how , what to use, what to catch??
    Dave

15. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    If you want to fish from the beach, get some cut bait and use a big 4oz sinker rigged like a carolina rig. You should catch sharks, bluefish, and gulf kingfish. You can use gold spoons, really flashy jerkbaits, or flashy pompano rigs to catch ladyfish, bluefish, and spanish mackerel. Use a surf rod or a big catfish rod and a rod holder with the cutbait, and use a spinning rod for your lures. You can also use artifical sand fleas and a small 1/4-1/2oz carolina rig for whiting and gulf kingfish.

If you can get to a pier, buy a couple of bubble rigs to catch spanish, ladyfish, bluefish, and maybe a kingfish.

I don't know much about gulf shores, but it you can find a bay or intercoastal waterway, fish around bridges with gold spoons or 3-4" swimbaits for redfish, sea trout, snakefish, and ladyfish.

Hope this helps you out, and let me know how you do!