Fleming WMA

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jkurtkrauss, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Anybody have and grouse experience on this WMA? The drumming count looked promising.

Thanks

2. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Fleming has been hit or miss for me, but the birds are there. The ice storm of 2003 knocked down patches of big trees along the ridge lines. The Department harvested timber on 51 acres about two years ago. But it has not thickened up enough yet with regrowth to support grouse.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Ive killed several there over the years but its generally a one trip a year deal for me. Ive always found the birds low in the hollers there it seems .

4. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    X2; used to hunt it once a year during Thanksgiving since my parents live at the base of the mountain. Had a route that I would normally take that I could hunt alone with 2 dogs, and get a bird or two up, but most of that cover has since matured. I think Dad has reported hearing one grouse flush the last three years deer hunting it. I no longer bother to grouse hunt it.

5. I squirrel hunted a lot in Fleming WMA this year and have not kicked up a single grouse. Not saying they are not there, but most times if they are there, there will be at least a few seen or heard. I think the coyotes have ate em all. Go coyote hunting and do us all a favor.

Irish