Fixes for low turkey numbers?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Apr 28, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    ain't no limits/restrictions on yotes.... kill them year round, no questions asked.
    Saw a cat Sunday when hunting with Joe.....

2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I meant for bobcats.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    me too

4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I agree! I spoke with my District Comissioner back during the debacle over mandatory sampling of bobcat jaws. I asked him why the department was worried about the bobcat age structure? I told him I knew one thing that was for sure about the bobcat population. We had way more turkeys before we had harvestable numbers of 'cats!

5. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I agree 100%!! Here in Indiana the tree huggers have successfully blocked the opening of bobcat hunting for who knows how long. Our turkey decline started the same time bobcat sightings started becoming common. I agree they're neat to see but other than that I see no need for another predator.

6. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

The thing I'm not sure most realize about 'cat predation on the turkeys is, bobcats are a very efficient predator on displaying gobblers. They have patience for days and take full advantage of a gobblers vulnerability while strutting. In essence, they are killing the same turkeys in spring that we are trying to hunt.

Nock likes this.
  7. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    This is my take: I don't believe food is a problem, most say there has been very little habitat change. Population limiting Factors typically go something like: Predation, disease, competition, weather, natural disaster.
    My opinion is that if we want more birds we have to control what we can control for several years. We can control (to some extent) predation and competition for food, water, and nesting areas. We can not control weather or natural disaster and have very little control of disease. The May, June, and July weather will make or break the poults! Just a couple years ago we had 2-3 consecutive years of record breaking rain in the state.
    So, hunt/trap the nest raiders - raccoons, opossums, crows, skunks, Coyotes, maybe bobcats. Hunt/trap the Apex Predators - Bobcats and coyotes. Provide excellent nesting and do not cut it until late summer.
    Taking in consideration how the state has handled the deer herd, I would say don't shoot hens if you feel like the population is low in your area. If the population is high harvest a few fall hens to maybe encourage the Male birds to be forced to move to new areas in the spring to find hens.

Recurve77 likes this.