Fixes for low turkey numbers?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Apr 28, 2021.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Well if your loaded up on turkeys take a kid or let a kid come hunt. Trust me there is plenty of kids out there who would love to kill a turkey. My oldest daughter is one of them. I have killed my fair share over the years. An with numbers down I really don't care if I ever kill another. I would rather the youth get the experience instead.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  2. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Already have! Numerous people have hunted my farm this year.

Southpaw and hollandhunter like this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce Fawn

Nov 10, 2020
    Kentucky
    I’m the chairman of a group based out of Murray, KY called Ken-Tenn Quail & Upland Game Alliance, and we work towards creating and maintaining habitat for quail, deer, turkey, rabbit etc., but in college I was studying wildlife habitat. One big thing was controlled burns, look at Alabama’s public land. They control burn so the undergrowth doesn’t get too big. Another thing is controlling predators. Coyotes, raccoons, possums, snakes etc. Also, another thing which it’s mentioned in the above comments is stop the hunting at 1. Illinois does this, and as much as I don’t like the state, they do have a good wildlife management team. I hunted up there this year for the first time, and I couldn’t believe the amount of birds that was gobbling. If you’re hunting fields and have the ability to work on the property, edge feathering the woods, select cutting the “bad” trees out such as beech trees etc., and creating a 15-30 ft. buffer zone between the woods and field so that they can eat the bugs and hide in it as well. Letting the birds rest after 1 is a good thing too. Let’s them calm down and do what they do so that more hens can be bred that evening and less birds will be killed so quickly in the season for better numbers of hens being bred. A combination of all these things will help numbers. I’ve been trying to get in contact with some local KY fish and wildlife workers to help work on public land such as LBL to work with them to create better habitat for them. Hope this helps you in any way!

BootsOn27, FOWLER2671 and Feedman like this.
  4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I wouldnt be cutting any beech trees if it were me. If they didnt ever drop nuts then i could see it i guess. Around here a ripe beech tree is as good as it gets for finding about any critter in the woods we like to eat.
    Now sweet gum, maple etc... has no benefit as far as mast/food goes.

Feedman and littlebear like this.
  5. Step 1. Control predators
    Step 2. Control predators
    Step 3. Control predators

The pressure applied and harvest taken by hunting does not even scratch the surface of what the effects of egg stealers do.
    Sure habitat and other factors play roles, but no single factor effects turkey numbers as hard as nest predation. PERIOD.

A good read on Turkey management is by Dr Lovett Williams- Wild Turkey Hunting & Management
    This man devoted his entire life to the study of wild turkeys. If you want to find the truth on management, read his books.

6. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    I believe going back to the days of hunting hours stop at 1pm is great for gobbler numbers and hunt quality

BootsOn27, Southpaw, KYH5N1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016

8. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I also heard Indiana is doing good and had lots of birds. They only allow 1 bird per hunter.

9. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    1. Control predators
    2. Reduce spring harvest to 1 bird
    3. Eliminate fall season
    4. No hunting past 1pm
    5. Control predators

I don't even turkey hunt but I'd say within 3-5 years you will notice a difference.

10. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    Trapping coons with dog proof traps should be legal year round without trapping lisence and encouraged by kdfwr. Stop spending money on songbirds and non-game species and use money to pay for dead coons.

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    It's a one buck state, and that is working splendidly. We're constantly putting out more and bigger deer.
    I love shooting 2 KY longbeards as much, or more than anyone, but would love to see a one bird limit.

12. I wish I had the 100% positive answer, but the one thing a individual can do is help control predators on their property.
    One raccoon can easily wipe out 100 turkeys a year if he finds the eggs. A far greater risk than fall hunting or live predation.
    I also wonder if the "burn down" chemicals being used these days could not be effecting the health of birds??

BootsOn27 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Raise the limit on cats.

Feedman and Trapper Delk like this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Treat cats and coons the same as yotes...... open year round.

15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    5 isn’t enough. Also have season open during all of deer season.

Munson and bgkyarcher like this.