Fixes for low turkey numbers?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    What have I missed on this chicken $hit theory?

Trapper Delk, 1wildcatfan and Feedman like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    It has been speculated that that the spreading of chicken manure from these large chicken houses has caused disease in Wild Turkeys

Munson likes this.
  3. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Any thoughts on corn for trail cams and maybe increased predation due to concentrated food source and birds?

4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    -weekday opener

-push the youth season to the back of the season (more breeding gobblers living just a little while longer)

-further restrict or outlaw baiting for deer which will disburse predators

-cut off hunting at 1 for at least the first part of the season then maybe go full day later.

-no hens in the fall

-hire more game wardens. The poaching is a huge issue and they just don't have enough guys to patrol.

-actually prosecute those caught breaking the law. You start taking trucks and making people sit in county lock up and you'll get people's attention.

riverboss, cedar creek and BootsOn27 like this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    They used to be hard 9n violations now they won't even come if called and they know it, so they just keep on hunting!

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I believe that for absolute fact.

For the last 2 years I've removed a lot of Coons here with dp's mostly to save my garden, but with nests in mind as well. This spring I have seen more turkeys than I have in the past 15 or 20 years. Another thing I hadn't considered were rabbits. We basically had none for 20 years, now I'm seeing them again.

7. RIDGERUNNER35

RIDGERUNNER35 Fawn

Apr 19, 2012
    Harlan, county
    There is one thing for sure, the population is down in my area. No we’re near what it use to be. But I would imagine whatever has happened will not be a easy fix to get the population back up. With the COVID issue and still have more people hunting this year. I would expect more harvest numbers. It’s to point that I’m not buying turkey tags and wasting my money. Better things to do.

8. RIDGERUNNER35

RIDGERUNNER35 Fawn

Apr 19, 2012
    Harlan, county
    I would rather hunt in Tennessee, they seem to have more birds when I’m in there state and it also comes in a lot earlier.

Timholt70 likes this.
  9. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    I believe a few states out west pay for trapped coons. Why are we paying for a trapping license to use dog proof traps? Why is there a season? Why arent we encouraged to kill possums, skunks and coons????????? Why do we pay for people in kdfwr to take care of song birds and other crap that we don't hunt?????? Why do we have kdfwr personel now that dont hunt and never have?????? Why are we killing birds in the fall when we pray to find one gobbling in the spring?????

Nock and Timholt70 like this.
  10. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m in the complete opposite side of the problem. Turkeys are an absolute nuisance on my farm. They are everywhere! I have 11 acres of fields surrounded by 80 acres of timber. I plant 4 acres of beans every year and let set year round till next planting season. The rest I let grow up in weeds (super thick). I frost seed clover around the entire field and mow a few times a year. I don’t know if this is the reason I have so many or I’m just lucky.

11. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I thought the same thing so I Went on a 3day hunt. Monday- Wednesday First week of season I only heard 1 bird. At 830 tues morning. I live in ohio. Same thing here. .no hear and no see.

12. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Low population is just not in Kentucky it's in mulitable states.

13. ken smallwood

ken smallwood Spike

Aug 31, 2017
    fl
    few years ago why was the turkey disappearing in fl Fish & Wildlife Conservation IT WAS RACOON EATING EGGS

14. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Poor weather during the hatching period and nest predation are major factors in the declining population. I also believe there may be other factors involved such as disease or chemical contamination. The one thing about the 'coon problem is that if we don't fix it, Moms will. Distemper and other diseases will eventually take the 'coon numbers down. The question is, "will it be too late?".

Trapper Delk and hollandhunter like this.
  15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I found a big coon laying dead by a spring on sunday when my son and i were turkey hunting. It looked healthy but was dead.