Fixes for low turkey numbers?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Apr 28, 2021.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    What's Your suggestion to increase the number of birds?

This may not amount to much but I figure cutting back the fall limit on birds may help? Cut it back to two total birds in the fall with only one or two hens allowed. I figure that Gobblers can/will service many hens so cutting the hen harvest down would help?

I doubt many people kill four birds in the Fall. This would impact those that do the most.

Lots of other ideas. Trap/hunt the coons? Coyotes are getting hit hard in my area so I doubt they are much of an issue? The lack of coyotes may lead to higher numbers of foxes through?

Timholt70 likes this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well other options maybe:
    1 gobbler limit in the spring
    Close hunting at 1 pm every day
    Open season on a weekday like a Monday.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Close the fall season for a few yrs will help alot, most places are baited for deer so you can't hunt them anyway but I don't believe it matters to alot of people.
    Numbers will never increase as long as we keep allowing hens to be killed!
    You can trap and kill alot of nest robbers and it has to help, but without hens there will be no eggs for them to eat!

BootsOn27, Bee, Grago and 3 others like this.
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I always liked the opener being on Monday. I wish modern firearm for deer did that as well. I’m no biologist, but I believe this issue is a lot more complicated than changing bag limits or seasons. I need to take time for contact the local biologist or even the state turkey biologist and see what they say. They know more than I do for sure.

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    If every hunter in ky killed 10 predators this year Turkey pop would explode

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Turkey’s have a pretty high mortality rate so many will die in the winter either way. If you want more numbers the best thing is kill skunks, coons, and yotes. Give them good nesting areas and they will do fine.

Turkin8or, DaveO, bmason and 6 others like this.
  7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’m pretty certain coyotes ain’t a big problem for turkey. I trap the nest raiders on my land and hope it helps. I own small acreage though. Bobcats are hard on turkey. They will climb tree at night and gettem. I’ve watched coyotes around turkeys. They may get some poults but they ain’t gettin a grown healthy turkey 90% of the time.
    And diff parts of state may vary but I don’t see anybody round here fall turkey huntin. I haven’t killed a hen since in my late teens. I’m not going to either. Now yes I do believe that deer hunters hunting with bow or crossgun will take a turkey while deer hunting but that not quite the problem where I’m at. 100% certain on that.
    It may be like today’s kids mommas just ain’t mommas any more. Lol.
    I got my old head slap a few times growing up. These new mommas don’t do that.lol.
    It may be like that In the turkey world. They just ain’t good moms no more. Lol. :p:D:eek:

bmason, Scruff, Snareman2 and 3 others like this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I am going after the coons, skunks and possums harder this year.. We did not catch very many this past year.

9. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    Predator reduction and cover. Lots of cover for nesting.

bag limits are not the issue. Period.

10. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Fur isn’t worth anything anymore, so barely anyone trapping or coon hunting anymore. I think that’s the biggest problem. The nest raiders are thriving.

Coyotes I don’t think are a real big problem, although still kill every one you see. Bobcats pose a bigger threat to turkeys.

As far as the fall hunting, I don’t think it has a huge impact, but I may be wrong as I haven’t looked up the numbers. But personally I don’t know anyone who fall turkey hunts, let alone actually kill 4. But I could see them taking the limit down to 2, and I’d support that. I believe the spring season is worse on them than the fall season with people killing more than their 2 birds.

riverboss and BootsOn27 like this.
  11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I'm with Feedman on 2 outta 3 ....... it wouldn't be popular with hunters, but a 1 bird limit and stop hunting at 1pm would keep a lot more gobblers alive. Problem is, this doesn't address the overall population issue. Not sure fall hunting has much of an effect on overall population, but not shooting hens seems to make sense.

Southpaw and hunt like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    $5 bounty on coons. Just turn in the tails, collect $5 per.

13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Its probably not legal hunters that are the problem!
    But close the season then anyone who is found with a turkey will be in violation, that will make alot of them think twice.

14. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Promote and incentivize nest raiders and other predators
    Outlaw the dang decoys, reaping etc. Too many hunters killing birds that would otherwise survive
    No jakes
    No hens ever for any reason
    Find a way to address early hay cutting

CentralKyHunter, hoene and Timholt70 like this.
  15. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Im not sure either, for fall hunting, I dont know anyone that hunts in the fall either, very, very few killed by bowhunters, deer hunting either, Predators got to hurt them, But we got a few more the last 2 years, than we have had in a while, but there is no spraying any more and no chicken manure being put out where I hunt, I feel that has helped some, may not have, but in my mind has, I saw a lot of Jakes, last year and a few this year, so still not even remotely close to numbers years ago, but last couple have been better. I think its all over the south east from what I hear, not just Ky, Im with previously mentioned bounty on predators, especially coons and even possums, I also agree bob cats are a problem, getting them at night on roost, even if they dont get them, they force them to fly out, and a turkey on the ground at night, will probaly turn into a bad outcome .

Timholt70 likes this.