Fixed or Mechanical

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I’d run some KE and momentum numbers for your setup. I know nothing about crossbows but getting a complete pass thru should be your goal. What does one of your finished bolts weigh? Run some numbers and see what you have. You may already know this info but you might be surprised as well. Again, not trying to throw any shade on crossbows at all, I just know nothing about them and what kind of KE, momentum, ftlbs, they can produce and therefore their effective range on Elk. As I said, I’ve gotten pass thrus on 2 Elk with a finished arrow weighing 525 grains shooting 68 pounds and 70 pounds.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I’d run some KE and momentum numbers for your setup. I know nothing about crossbows but getting a complete pass thru should be your goal. What does one of your finished bolts weigh? Run some numbers and see what you have. You may already know this info but you might be surprised as well. Again, not trying to throw any shade on crossbows at all, I just know nothing about them and what kind of KE, momentum, ftlbs, they can produce and therefore their effective range on Elk. As I said, I’ve gotten pass thrus on 2 Elk with a finished arrow weighing 525 grains shooting 68 pounds and 70 pounds.
My arrow was a little under 400, at 60 lbs. Shooting near 280. My bull was quartering away at 55 yards. Broadhead buried in the off shoulder.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You are way more knowledgeable than me. Crossbow can shoot up to 365. Bolt is 400g/22 inch. I talked a company rep. He said any fixed blade shot well but no 4 blades. As far as mechanical he said they tried Rage, Swhacker, Havoc and Grim Reaper and they all shot well. Interestingly, he did say shoot broadhead specific models which I assume means that it saying “crossbow” matters. This never mattered to me before. I shot the same as in my compound. I’m sure I’m overthinking all this. Nervous excitement.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
Fixed is the way to go. Brand is up to you. Of course everyone has their own opinions on which head is better so I’m not going to stay on that. I’ve taken several different species of big game animals with a bow and fixed is the best imo.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
I don’t get to shoot anymore , but when I did I thought slicktricks were strong and accurate.I think they might have a one twenty five ,made for the crossbow,might be wrong.Seems like about any good strong head , that is accurate ,should work.

childersb24

8 pointer
Mar 25, 2010
Me too. Tough as nails but I did have a doe a few years back that didn’t bleed much and I laid a good shot on her. She died within sight so I guess I shouldn’t complain but blood just didn’t come out.
Yeah I have had that happen also. If it wasn’t for them falling in sight I would have never found them because there was not enough blood.

Highbow

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 16, 2001
Johnson County, Ky.
If you get lucky enough to get the shot on one, Don't push the elk. Glass and watch closely and wait as long as you think there is a chance it will get up. I know several who lost elk last season that thought their elk was down for good.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I don’t get to shoot anymore , but when I did I thought slicktricks were strong and accurate.I think they might have a one twenty five ,made for the crossbow,might be wrong.Seems like about any good strong head , that is accurate ,should work.

Do they make a 3 blade? Heard nothing but good things about Slick Trick; however, customer service with my crossbow company said they do not recommend 4 blade broadheads. Probably doesn’t matter but that was about the only thing specific they said.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
Do they make a 3 blade? Heard nothing but good things about Slick Trick; however, customer service with my crossbow company said they do not recommend 4 blade broadheads. Probably doesn’t matter but that was about the only thing specific they said.
Four is all I’ve seen, good luck on your hunt

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
I shoot slick tricks in my bow and Xbox. Shot fine.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I shoot slick tricks in my bow and Xbox. Shot fine.

I’m sure it would be. Go to the missioncrossbows website and look under FAQs and it says most any fixed blade is fine but they wouldn’t recommend 4 blade. Not sure why? I know when I owned a Parker (recently sold it), they were very clear on using their hostage nocks and doing away with half moon because they said too many shots would equal a dry fire. Who knows? I do think I’ll stick with fixed for sure though. Hard to teach this old dog new tricks!

Latest posts