Fixed or Mechanical

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
C’mon elk hunters! I know everyone will have the exact same opinion on this. :D I got a hunt coming up. Plan on using a crossbow and have my bow as a backup. Always been a fixed guy but contemplating mechanical for a big cut and blood trail. Speak on it!

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
If mechanical, just don't go too big. And use a rear deploy head.
BTW, I'm not an elk hunter haha.
But if I'm ever drawn for an archery tag, I'll hunt them with a big fixed blade

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
If mechanical, just don't go too big. And use a rear deploy head.
BTW, I'm not an elk hunter haha.
But if I'm ever drawn for an archery tag, I'll hunt them with a big fixed blade

See my other thought is to stick with the fixed blade I’m comfortable with and up it to 125 grains. So interesting you say that.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I’ve killed a bull and a cow using Magnus Stinger 125 so I guess you know what I’d recommend. Pass thrus on both. Use whichever fixed your comfortable with but I would recommend cut on contact. Good luck on your hunt. Can’t wait to see the bull you kill.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I’ve killed a bull and a cow using Magnus Stinger 125 so I guess you know what I’d recommend. Pass thrus on both. Use whichever fixed your comfortable with but I would recommend cut on contact. Good luck on your hunt. Can’t wait to see the bull you kill.

Thanks! Man I’ll be happy and thankful with anything!

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I’ve used a lot of fixed 100s but have used Montec more than any. Was thinking about the Ramcat, but either way considering 125gr if I stick with fixed. Sound like a plan?

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I like montecs

Me too. Tough as nails but I did have a doe a few years back that didn’t bleed much and I laid a good shot on her. She died within sight so I guess I shouldn’t complain but blood just didn’t come out.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I killed my bull with a Montec CS 100. Good head for sure.

Have plenty of these. Just wonder if I should up 125. Heck it’s sounding like I probably should stick to what I got. My Montec CS 100s shot great in my last xbow.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I don't know chit about x-bows, but the 100 on my compound did the trick....

Sounds like I should stick to ol faithful then. The 125 grain has a 1 1/8 cut. Little more than 100s. Maybe a subtle change that might make a little difference. Thing I like about Montec is they shot the exact same as my field points. I have plenty of 100s.

Latest posts