Fixed blade broadheads

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by columbia whitetail, Oct 26, 2020.

1. flyingnectar

flyingnectar 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    Lots of good heads to try. I been shoot slick tricks for 20 years and love them. I did see some muzzy on eBay I bought because they were $13 for 3 and they shot great also. Make sure you practice with the head you hunt with!

1wildcatfan likes this.
  2. flyingnectar

flyingnectar 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    no, just don’t aim at the shoulder avoid and avoid quartering shot angles..

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Yes

4. vMANG

vMANG Spike

Dec 20, 2017
    Taylorsville, KY
    I shoot Muzzy MX-4 on my vertical bow set at 50lbs , they are very accurate. I also use the same head on my crossbow with the same results. As stated already shot placement is more important than your broadhead choice.

Buckkillr likes this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sounds like no matter what you shoot accuracy is the key. The comments on G5 not leaving a good blood trail, I did have one doe that didn’t bleed but she fell in about 20 steps. Killed her, another doe and a yote with the same broadhead. Guy at elk camp last year put a good shot on a bull at 27 yds, complete pass thru using a 4 blade slick trick and they never recovered it. Things will happen no matter what. Find something you like and stick with it. Another good fix blade I’ve used is NAP Hellrazor. As far as using a fixed blade, I don’t like changing blades. For me, just personal preference, if I had to change blades often, I wouldn’t be fond of fixed blades. I like to shoot and sharpen and go. Simplicity.

woodsman92 likes this.
  6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What's the difference in compound broadheads vs crossbow? Anyone try the allen crossbow broadheads. Whats your go to crossbow broadheads

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Shuttle T lock, same as our vertical bows, when my boys shot a crossbow.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I can’t give you specifics but I know when I bought my new xbow last year it said in the paperwork use broadheads specifically designed for crossbows. I always used 100gr same is my bow previously so not sure there’s a difference. I did bump up to a 125 gr for my crossbow and I can say this with Montecs the physical size is way different from a 100 to 125.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Reason I ask. I have read some good reviews on allen and walmart is selling them

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I like a steel ferrule on replaceable blade broadheads. I shoot slick tricks. Another great choice would be the G5 Striker. Out of the package, they are adequately sharp.
    I shot the Montec's years ago. Great design, and shot very well. Only draw back was blood trails. I figured out how to sharpen them, and blood trails got much better. It takes a bit of effort, but you can get them sharp.

11. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I bought 18 packs of standard and magnum slick tricks at the local WalletMart a few years back. Clearance for 10 bucks a pack. I also bought all of the replacement blades for 5 bucks a pack. Pay attention when the season winds down. You may catch a good deal.

xbokilla and flyingnectar like this.
  12. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    There’s nothing wrong with her using mechanical just down go too big, my wife uses Grimreaper Fatel steels on 35# and gets good pass throughs. They also make the Hades fixed blade which flys great and penetrates good also.

13. Stevens

Stevens Spike

Aug 3, 2016
    Yea when you take a montec and strop it razor sharp it makes a huge difference on blood trails. I used to complain about their trails until my father showed me how to sharpen a head. game changer imo

xbokilla likes this.
  14. Stevens

Stevens Spike

Aug 3, 2016
    do you guys sharpen your slick tricks out of pkg.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Allen Beartooth is a nice broadhead for the money. My niece used them in her crossbow.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.