Fishing with Daddy

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Sep 19, 2020.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Went with Daddy this morning. First time since I got the blood clots in July. Fished Barren for about 5 hours. Slow morning. Had zero action on top, so we started cranking. Finally caught 8 bass, but only one keeper. Daddy caught it, a 16" fish. While he was unhooking it, it flopped and buried a treble in his hand. Loose skin between the thumb and finger. Before he could secure it, it flopped again, and the hook drove on through. Probably a good thing. Luckily, the fish got off the bait at that point. The treble was small, so I had to take needle nose and open the gap up, then I was able to clip the hook/barb off, and back the hook out. Daddy has always had thin blood, and his hand bled like a stuck hog. Finally got bleeding stopped, and put a band aid on it. He never quit fishing, lol. He's a tough old cuss. I just called him and he said it was sore, but not as sore as it will be tomorrow. I intended to deer hunt his afternoon. When I got home from fishing, my ankle and foot was swollen up quite a bit, so I'm on the couch, with my leg elevated. Prof Dickweed went without me. I hope he has some luck. Hopefully I will get to climb in a stand tomorrow afternoon. Wind is going to be correct for me....

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My buddy Joe called me at 6:45. Killed a good buck. Wanted help getting it out. I put clothes on and start his way. Dickweed calls at 6:58. Just shot good buck. I do u-turn and head his way. He's confident he made good shot. Buck ran off with arrow in him. Never found any blood. He couldn't tell me anything. Confused in the dark. Looked an hour. Going back at daylight. Sounds like he hit it good and buried in off shoulder. If so, it's dead in those woods. My leg is pretty swollen now. Going to bed. He's picking me up at 5:30. He’s in for a sleepless night.

3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    #dealingwithdickweed

Drahts likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    No it wasn’t. We are getting ready to head out.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    No recovery. Bumped him about 8:00. 400 yards from where shot. Ran onto next farm. Last we heard he was running about 200 yards away. Found the arrow. Blood about 8” on shaft. I think he shot through the shoulder and got one lung. I found three small pieces of what looked like lung. Very little blood. Bright red. Small splash here, few small drops there. I think the deer will live. We have backed out. My leg is swollen again. I’ve got to get off it. Undecided if going back this afternoon.

barney likes this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Don't be playing around with that leg. Stay off of it.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yeah, you saw the pic. It got pretty swollen. Those veins in the foot really bulge. I've stayed off of it most of the day. It's back to normal now. I started carving on my buddy Joe's buck to do a Euro mount. That head was COVERED in turkey mites/seed ticks/whatever you want to call them. I had at least 20 crawling up my arm while I was filleting on it. Nasty buggers. DW is bummed, as expected. I'm pretty confident that deer is going to live. My BIL is going to be rolling hay there tomorrow. I told him to watch for buzzards, but I don't think the buck is dead.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    How's paps hand today?

9. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Crankbaits? Who would have thoughto_O. I’d stay off that foot as much as possible.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    It got him in the loose skin between the thumb and finger. There's a lot more of that in a 84 year old. I talked to him about 7:00 and he said it was fine. Going back in the morning, lol.

Nock, slobear and barney like this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yeah, the surface bite has stunk this year. Worst I can remember....

12. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Had my own mishap today
    20200920_135331_copy_1224x1632.jpg

Feedman, Nock and slobear like this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  15. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I was getting my pole out of the car and didn't even feel it go in. I didn't think it would be a problem. Grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled 3 times. No dice.

Went to my cousin's house bc he was giving me a deer. He was a Ranger in the Army and assured me he could get it out. Got a bunch of alcohol wipes out, neosporin, touched up this 9" long knife on his work sharp sharpener. Then put a flame to it. One quick jab following the hook was all I could take. He assured me he could get it out bc he had dug shrapnel out of many people. I had to pass after that first cut. Thought I was gonna bite my tongue off.

Went to urgent care. They numbed it. Girl pulled 3 times and couldn't budge it. "Gimme those damn pliers". It was numb so surely I could pull it out, right. Nope. Tiny ass barb had it locked in there. I cut the hook off and started to push it through. She wanted 1 more try. Twisted it twice and yanked it right out.

Nock and barney like this.