fishing with Dad

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Aug 14, 2019.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Had a good trip with Dad on Barren this morning. We were on the water at daylight. Caught 18, with 6 keepers. I had a 4-6, and 2 more solid chunks in the 2.75-3 lb range. Caught 15 on surface lures, and I caught 3 on a deep running crank bait. All fish were caught by 8:30. Once the sun got bright, we couldn't find any fish. Left at 10:00. I put it on Dad pretty good this morning. I was throwing a blue/silver Dick's special pop r type lure. He was throwing a black and silver Pop R. I ordered 3 of the Dick's specials after we got home. 2 for him, and another one for me. lol. Planning to go again Friday morning.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Enjoy those days with your dad one of these days all you will have is memory's. Wish many times I could have got my Dad out on Lake Michigan like I manage to do with the Father-In-Law before he passed.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I have thrown top water all year long and I can count on one hand how many fish I have caught on top. Been the worst top water bite season I have ever had. Glad you guys are finding them.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    This was our first trip since he fell and messed his hands up. Wanted to go last week, and his NEW trolling motor was messed up. Got it fixed and back from the shop yesterday. Good trip this morning.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    What lake you fishing?

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Ive had luck with poppers. But certain colors and options make a big difference in if the fish want it or not. Plus its how you pop too.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I was throwing blue/silver. Dad black/silver. The bait I was throwing has a nice feather type tie on the treble. Good looking bait, and it spits well too. I was fishing it very frisky, basically walking it. Dad was fishing much slower, with a lot of pauses. He was in the front of the boat, so I think in this instance, it was either the bait, or the presentation, or a little of both. He got first shot at the best looking places. I caught better than 2-1 on the top water bites...

kyhunter99 likes this.
  8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Presentation is the trickiest part. It changes contantly on what the fish want.
    I get alot of luck with the feather tail and pausing but sometimes bass want more action.
    Were the poppers the same length too?

9. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Ha, just had a thought, maybe your dad warmed all the bass up for you. Ive always heard bass can be warmed up into a bite by pestering them

10. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Nolin, green, barren, taylorsville

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Man, if you fish Barren, all you've got to do is fish channel bluffs at daylight. You'll catch fish on top as soon as they spawn until Fall.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Same on Nolin and Green, never fished Taylorsville.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Not good this morning. We put in at Browns Ford. Just a change of scenery. I had 9 hits, caught three, lost two. One was a pretty good fish. Dad never had a hit. I slipped on scum covered ramp getting in the boat. Landed flat on my back. It’s throbbing. We left early. It will really be throbbing tomorrow.

14. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Thats a shame. Nothing worse than getting hurt on a bad day of fishing on top of it.
    Do you ever fish from lonnie white dock?

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dad talked to a friend that went this morning. They only caught 3 dinks this morning. Guess they just weren't feeding this morning. What is lonnie white dock?