Fishers in No Ky area?

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by taxidervin, Jun 23, 2010.

1. taxidervin

taxidervin Spike

Sep 20, 2002
    I was told last week that there were fishers seen in Campbell Co area, is this possible/true? They were seen by a neighbor of mine. I know they look like weasels but are much larger. Just curious.
    Taxidervin

2. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    I have seen two dead on the side of the road one in Highland Heights and one off the AA. Both being in Campbell County.
    Weird little things, both were dead. But they were small, haven't seen anything bigger than 2 ft. long.

Or I could be completely wrong and I saw something like a mink.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    theres was one dead at the end of my road yesterday in hebron

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I thought i seen one getting into a rabbit's nest in my front yard, but wasn't sure. It killed all the babies but ate very little.

5. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    No documented fishers in KY, sounds like mink or otters to me. The closest fisher reintroduction that I'm aware of is in east TN mountains. Pics would help....

6. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    WV did a reintroduction that was successful. Fisher are like mountian lions, they can be thick as fleas in an area and you will rarely see them. They are pretty large (about the size of a badger) and hard to mistake for anything else. If you ever seen a grizzly running on tv, that is what they look like walking only in small form. They usually survive by eating porkipines, but in a area that does not have them, they will wipe out the small game populations and the house cat populations.

They are pretty cool creatures if you ever get to see one while in the woods... They will hunt squarrels through the treetops.

7. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Wasn't aware of the reintroduction of fisher into West Virginia. Google research says that West Virginia "swapped" New Hampshire (31) turkey for (31) fisher back in 1970.
    That "swap" was similar to Kentucky, when "Uncle George" traded otters purchased from Louisiana for turkey from Missouri, for Ky turkey reintroduction.
    Also, similar results after Ky otter reintroduction.
    WV locals claimed decline in snow shoe hares and grouse was due to fishers.
    Some of us Ky locals claimed decline in small mouth bass in some streams was due to dang otters.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    The best states for grouse hunting all have healthy populations of Fisher. They would have a noticable Rabbit and and squirrel population impact though.