First Time Hunters

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by E. Leafdale Mofia, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Hello everyone, a friend of mine and I have just started looking into coyote hunting I know it is gettin late in the season, but I was wondering if anyone was willing to help us out. I have a several good places to hunt. We will be hunting in Larue and Nelson counties if anyone is interested in going and or giving some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I work weekends so it will be T,W,THursday hunting.

2. COUNTRYBOY

COUNTRYBOY 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2003
    Butler Co, KY
    HELLO LEAFDALE,
    YOU'RE GONNA LOVE CALLING IN THEM COYOTES! IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE BEEN A DEDICATED DEER & RABBIT HUNTER FOR YEARS BUT THE COYOTES HAS JUST ABOUT WIPED OUT THE RABBITS AROUND HERE IN BUTLER CO. ALSO IT'S GOT TO WHERE I CAN'T WALK TO MY DEER STAND IN THE MORNINGS WITHOUT YOTES GROWLING AT ME IN THE DARK. SO NOW I HUNT THEM AFTER DEER SEASON. TWO FRIENDS I WORK WITH AND ME WORK 3RD SHIFT SO WE'RE OUT NEARLY EVERY MORNING CALLING COYOTES.
    YOU'RE GONNA MAKE ALOT OF MISTAKES, I HAVE AND STILL DO, BUT THE BEST WAY TO LEARN IS TO GET OUT THERE & HUNT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT CALLS YOU INTEND TO USE,MOUTH OR ELECTRONIC, BUT I USE MOUTH CALLS BECAUSE I CAN CONTROL THEM BETTER AND ARE ALOT EASIER TO PACK AROUND. THERE ARE LOTS OF CALLS,ALL DISTRESS CALLS ARE GOOD BUT I REALLY LEAN ON A COTTONTAIL SQUEALER. ALSO I LIKE TO USE A HOWLER TO LOCATE THEM SOMETIMES AND ALSO TO YELP SOMETIMES BEFORE I SQUEAL. I USE DIFFERENT BRANDS OF CALLS,BUT I REALLY AM STARTING TO LIKE PRIMOS CALLS BECAUSE THEY MAKE A PLASTIC REED CALL AND IT DOESN'T FREEZE UP ON ME OR FOUL UP WHEN IT'S COLD AND THEY SOUND GREAT. KNIGHT & HALE MAKES GOOD CALLS TOO. IF YOU REALLY WANT SOME GOOD INFO,RENT SOME COYOTE VIDEOS,(PRIMOS OR KNIGHT & HALE),GET SOME CALLS,PRACTICE AND GET OUT THERE.
    ONE MORE THING, YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE WIND AND PLAY IT. HAVE YOUR SCENT DOWN BECAUSE IF THEY CAN,THEY WILL CIRCLE YOU WHEN YOU ARE CALLING AND TRY TO SNIFF YOU SO WATCH YOUR BACK.
    ALSO YOU SAID IN YOUR TOPIC THAT YOU KNEW IT'S ALITTLE LATE. ACTUALLY IT ISN'T. FROM DECEMBER TO ABOUT APRIL THEY ARE IN RUT. FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS EVERY YOTE WE'VE CALLED IS ALEAST TWO OR MORE. THE MATES ARE RUNNING TOGETHER AND VERY AGGRESSIVE.
    I'LL TRY TO SHUT UP NOW BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SPORT AND COULD TALK ABOUT IT ALL DAY. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS I COULD HELP YOU WITH EMAIL ME AND I'LL BE GLAD TOO. I'M NOT AN EXPERT BUT I LOVE TO HUNT'EM AND SHARE INFO. LEARN ANYTHING NEW OR DIFFERENT, LET ME KNOW.ONE MORE PIECE OF ADVICE, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PLACES YOU HAVE TO HUNT ON,BUT FARMERS LOVE COYOTE HUNTERS. PUT A PIECE IN THE PAPER AND THE PHONE WILL RING OFF THE HOOK. GET'CHA SOME CALLS AND GOOD LUCK. WHEN YOU GET TO SEE THAT COYOTE RUNNING STRAIGHT AT YOU AND YOU DRAW FIRST BLOOD YOU'LL BE HOOKED!
    COUNTRYBOY

3. I have another question for everyone I own a 7.62 54R and was wondering if anyone else has hunted yotes with one of these and what the results were. I do not want to damage the fur too bad because I am also looking into selling the furs IF I ever get one/some/many. I am looking into a new gun, but am torn between a .223 ruger rancher or a remington bolt action. All advice is welcome I a young so I need all the help I can get. By the way thanx country boy for the advice. Good luck to all.
    Also any turkey hunters out there visit www.finalroostcalls.com These calls are made here in the statewand have turned up some fine birds. Of course I am a little Biast since a friend of mine makes them.....But check em out.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    You only going to yote hunt with this rifle?

5. I do not know yet since the 7.62 is a old gun I thought about camoing it and using it just for yote hunting.

6. COUNTRYBOY

COUNTRYBOY 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2003
    Butler Co, KY
    HEY LEAFDALE,
    JUST THOUGHT I'D LET YA KNOW. I USE A 7MM I DEER HUNT WITH,A OVER KILL BUT I BELIEVE IN NO CHANCES. MY TWO HUNTING PARTNERS USE A 30-06 & A .223 RIFLE. YOU WANT A RIFLE THAT WILL HOLD TRUE FOR AT LEAST 200 YARDS BUT TAKE WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.

COUNTRYBOY

7. ez

ez 8 pointer

hey there.....e.leafdale mofia..........you a hodgenville boy......final roost a great call...........use them both mouth and slate.......ez

8. Yea I am from hodgenville...you too?

9. To anyone interested A friend of mine and I will be hunting this week Tue and Wed morning anyone interested call me at 270-268-2050. We will be hunting around hodgenville and buffalo.
    Nick

10. RudeDawg

RudeDawg Fawn

Feb 4, 2003
    Central Kentucky.
    I live in Tonieville. Does that count??

RudeDawg

RudeDawg

11. Yea rude just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call I have a little buisness to tend to in the morning but we may be able to go tomorrow afternoon or thursday if you would like