First time duck hunting

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Wall9, Jan 24, 2015.

1. I am being as honest as I can with you. It is like crack. It will break you down in more ways than one. You will spend every single day of the season chasing what you just experianced. I tell everybody that wants to get into it that they should save a 1K every year and just go on a guided trip for a week once a year and call it done. Go somewhere nice with lodging, meals, and a good rep. That way you can go wherever the ducks are the week you are avaliable to hunt.

2. trapnfool

trapnfool 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2005
    webster county
    Congrats! Looks like a nice black duck in there too!

3. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    This is the truth.

You'll end up in the country ghetto of Kentucky looking for the next fix from a feller named Oscar. Oscar ain't the best, bet hell make ya feel like the best ya stuff ever had is just a day away.

4. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Not to mention a nice drake Redhead... One of two ducks that winter in Ky that after 32 seasons I gave yet to take. Mr Blonde is doing you a favor.. Best advice you'll ever get on this forum, or your one hell of a troller.

5. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    You referring to the low brass 20 gauge hull under the field pile?

6. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    Good eye lol.

7. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Hey some guys reload... Not for me to question... But I did see it.. But lead 6's through an improved cylinder choke over decoys is death.. How do I know? I actually am old enough to have used lead the first few seasons I hunted. Mine were through an old single barrel 16. Same result.

8. Wall9

Wall9 Fawn

Nov 9, 2012
    The 20 gauge hulls were from my buddies little boy they done the trick but they were steel shot for the record. The red head came in as a single my buddy is going to have it mounted.

9. ChaChing!!!!!!

10. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Yes, it's very addictive. And yes it's also a bit expensive. Worth it?, you betcha.
    I used to think GoreTex was expensive....... till I started duck hunting.
    I wish you the very best of luck.

BoB

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Mr. Blonde left out boat(s).

You will buy a boat - chaching
    Then you will realize that the boat you bought isn't big enough so you buy a bigger boat - chaching
    Then you realize that your big boat won't get you back into that godforesaken phrag hole the birds are pouring into so you buy a marsh boat with a mud motor - chaching
    Then you'll want a canoe - chaching
    Then somewhere along the way you are gonna wack your lower unit on a stump or log or rock chaisng a cripple or scouting some slough you shouldn't be taking an outboard into- chaching

four wheelers, argos, utv
    moonpies, rc colas, levi garret, double bubble, gas station hot dogs, emergency charmin.
    New tires for the truck, u-joints cause you blew out one in gumbo mud.

12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    You guys left out the most important thing of a duck hunt....

You will see guys with biscuit cookers and want one....chaching
    Then you need a cast iron skillet, or you can steal you wife's (if you are brave)....chaching
    Pounds and pounds of bacon. Every. Single. Day.....chaching
    Few pounds of sausage every day....chaching

13. Wall9

Wall9 Fawn

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not sure if you guys are a support group or a warning poster for what will happen. You fellas make it sound like trying meth would be a better idea than taking up duck hunting lmbo i'm tight and not an addictive person I hope I can handle it if not at least you can say you tried to warn me.

14. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just go ahead and throw the tight right out the window, it won't apply to duck huntin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Just do like my friends do and find some buddy's that are passionate about it and go with them they will have he best spots out in the time to scout and have all the gear. All ya need is a gun and shells. Preferably steel.