First Kentucky deer hunt, 2018 Gun Opener

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by James Bellflower, Aug 21, 2019.

1. First I wan to start off by acknowledging how beautiful the state of Kentucky is. Being from North Florida I was awed by the beautiful farms, hills, and hollers KY boasts. About a year ago a good friend of mine from high school reached out about joining him on a hunt in Kentucky, a state he was raised in during his early years before relocating to Florida. He promised a great time, good accommodations, great company and an opportunity to harvest a "real" buck. Not a little Florida deer as he put it. Since he had already booked a farm via AIRBNB we just had to wait on the day to come. A trip from Tallahassee with a night in Nashville finally ended at a farm an hour outside Louisville. We broke out the supplies, hiked the place and got blinds set and was ready to begin the week we had for the gun opener. All week hiking the hills made me realize how out of shape I am in, the uniqueness off the surroundings I was in and I was baffled by the size of the deer in general. Hunting in snow, during a nor'easter, was quite the eye opening experience. Having trees/limbs break under the sheer weight of ice was crazy to say the least. We saw does all week and the signs of the rut were there. The morning of the last day we were there we both had shots on bucks that resulted in missed kills. Disappointed in the last mornings results we were thinking we may end up driving back south empty handed. As we set out for the afternoon hunt and going in different directions, I remember telling my pal if I saw a deer, any deer, it was going to end up in my cooler. Well lo and behold a doe comes thru my set. Texting my bud that I was about to waylay this deer, he reminded me to be patient and wait. Best advice ever. A few moments later, my buck of my lifetime slips into the lane. I swear I thought it was an elk at first glance. I had never seen a deer so dark and so large before. The 7MM was true on this shot. As the buck ran over the hill, I shook uncontrollably and waited. What seemed like ten minutes later, I heard it moan, the death moan. Another half hour, the longest ever, all the while my phone is blowing up from my buddy, I've told him I shot at a deer. Wanting to come my way I encouraged him to sit longer until I located it. Finally about 45 minutes to an hour I finally get out of the blind and locate the deer. A text to my pal got him on the move and I hear a shot ring out from his direction. After a full week, we both sealed the deal in the last hour of the last day. A memory we both will cherish till our dying day and now with the second trip planned for the year, hopefully a tradition he and I can pass on to our sons, to carry forward in the future. Comradery, friendship, a passion for whitetail, and the awe of nature is what hunting is all about. Plus good food! Special thanks to Mike Dunn with Dunn's Taxidermy for the beautiful mount and cannot wait to put my hands on it and bring it home when we return to Kentucky in November! IMG_2687.jpg IMG_2686.jpg IMG_2681.jpg IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2624.jpg IMG_4828.jpg IMG_2687.jpg IMG_2686.jpg IMG_2681.jpg IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2624.jpg IMG_4828.jpg

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Heck yea that’s awesome. Good job to y’all both. Congrats

hunt and James Bellflower like this.
  3. DBKY

DBKY Spike

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    Very nice!

James Bellflower and hunt like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the story!

James Bellflower and hunt like this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congratulations on 2 nice ones

James Bellflower likes this.
  6. mykizha

mykizha 6 pointer

Aug 19, 2018
    Hamilton
    Cool story and nice buck!

7. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Nice buck and glad you like Kentucky.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Those are ohio Buck's, lift up the tail you will see the big O! usually when you see it they are headed full speed to the next state.
    That and our deer bleed blue just like us.LoL. great deer good luck in 2019.

9. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Congrats..good story.

10. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Yes congratulations to you guys. Good times. Nice looking mount also.

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats to you guys! Good Luck this fall!

12. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Mike Dunn does a great job, I worked for him for a couple of years.

13. MoMan

MoMan Spike

Oct 4, 2018
    Western KY
    CONGRATS on a successful hunt. Way to stick with it, nice couple of bucks ya got there.

14. preachnhunt

preachnhunt 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2009
    Garrard
    Nice! Congratulations