First hummingbird yesterday

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by zone1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I am the pleased hostess of a tiny, male, Ruby-throated hummingbird! :cool:

He just drank from my lone, el cheapo plastic feeder, two different times, and perched atop its shepherd's hook once. I have been slowly hardening my new flowering plants and have yet to place them upon the sunny rail. Three visits... thirsty critter. He just chased off a Carolina chickadee having perched atop the hook, lol. It is having a fit over his presence, for unknown reasons, fussing up a storm. Being cloudy, I'm going to set some of the new flowers up there for him.

2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My little male hummer visited the feeder at 5:33pm, just over ten minutes ago. First time I have seen him since his initial appearance. I figured he was just a migrator, for it all, but nope. He has remained. He is now perched atop the feeder hook, I just noticed, not ten feet away. Very cool. Guess I better go lower the garage door, before he becomes stuck in there.:cool:

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Male hummer at feeder, third sighting since first sighting. He drank and then flew up to the usual low hanging perch for a moment but quickly returned for seconds, at the precise moment my dogs bolted off the deck after something/someone near the property line, which unfortunately frightened the little fighter pilot away from the feeder with a quickness. Their mission complete, they have returned, but he has not as of yet. I has just set out a second el cheapo feeder for him some 25' away only thirty minutes prior, too, with the last of that first batch of homemade nectar. He has yet to go for the new purple flowering calibrachoas, that I have witnessed, interestingly enough.

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Male hummer visited his feeder moments ago, fourth sighting. 54°F or slightly higher by now. My temperature thermometer remains in storage; so, I intend upon purchasing yet another, just an el cheapo today. Same for soil temperature thermometer, even though I always just use my kitchen gadget (never have used one for cooking) lol. I want a digital one now for soil temperature.

I have yet to see this male hummer take one sip of nectar from the $70.00 worth of beautiful Congra Dark Blue Calibrachoa (Super Bells Blue within the link) flowers I purchased and set next to his feeder. That really surprises me. They are so very close to the petunia look. My red petunias have yet to re-bloom for him, and I know that he likes those, even though I have not seen him after them this year, for it all. Although I have yet to write them off as good hummingbird flowers and still want to find those double bloom calibrachoa, I might try to find one of the Blackberry Punch variety, in order to see whether color makes a difference. I know the shape to be correct.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/calibrachoa/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  5. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I’m in south central KY and saw my first one of the year yesterday.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Saw our fist one yesterday morning and I found 9 Morels yesterday , 8 greys and 1 yellow.

carnivore and HuntressOfLight like this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Very cool! Mine has returned at least once since then for another sip. I have yet to see a lady hummer this season. I forgot that I had spied this one off in the distance the other day. I saw him land upon the small branch of a redbud within the backyard, not far from where I placed the other feeder, but I have yet to see him visit it. I am sure he has snuck plenty of sips from it, when I was not out back. I can hear him when he visits the one off the deck rail, though, if I happen to be just inside the door (which is my norm when not on the deck or out and about somewhere on the property).

Cool, cool, too! We are supposed to drop down to a frigid 36°F Tuesday night in extreme WKY. Can you friggin believe that?!! Doubtful you will be finding any morels then, lol. I hope the hummers can survive it.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Ha! My sporty little guy just returned to his feeder and fed again, with me standing only 12' away within the wide open on the sidewalk staring at him. I guess he was the one here last year, due to his comfort level with me. I managed a really good look at him this time, and he is a handsome boy. No female hummer will pass him up! He has one vibrantly rich color of red all over his neck. He is a bonafide redneck within Kentucky, through and through, lol, and he is a super swift pilot, having vanished with high speed over the roof. This is a great little website about all. I'm in the midst of dandelion battle (changing out fuel canisters) and haven't had time to read the entire page.

http://www.rubythroat.org/rthuexternalmain.html

9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Mine was a little female . They say Hummingbirds can over winter or at least I read that somewhere.
    Winter Feeding Hummingbirds - YouTube

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I read your post last night but only had time to watch the video this morning. It caused me less worry about my sexy little guy, with regards to the pending drop in temperature (thank you). He just visited his feeder but took only a quick sip. He intentionally hid himself behind one of the flower planter while doing so, as opposed to where I could see him.

When I went by the Dollar General Store last night, I finally recalled the need for additional sugar. There was only one container remaining, and I grabbed it (someone has been buying up the Fancy Feast canned cat food all at once; so, I intend to give whomever a taste of the same medicine by doing the same in return immediately upon next delivery within the next three days, and thereafter...). I shall be making more nectar today and finally hanging my glass hummer feeders, as well as my two additional el cheapo plastic ones

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My hummingbird took a hit off the feeder and then flew into the glass door before flying off elsewhere. Guess it's time to change that nectar.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Saw our first one here in Anderson County this morning. A little male.

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Cool ! Mine visited multiple times yesterday and at least once this morning. He is rudely ignoring the beautiful petunias in which I also purchased for him and set directly level with his primary feeder only inches away from it. He is all about the sugar water at this point and seemingly nothing else. Perhaps such is due to the abnormalty cold temperatures; maybe he simply requires that straight sugar shot. I don't think he is visiting the other identical feeder set-up only 25' away, either, because it remains filled to the brim with the same brew mix.

He just buzzed my head, as I sit upon the steps.

14. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Recently bought my little girl a feeder and put outside her bedroom window. When the hummingbirds started coming last week she would open her window and watch them quietly. she comes running into the living room night before last thrilled that a hummingbird flew into her room and flew around and went back out the window. needless to say she’s really enjoying her new feeder

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Lol, that is so very cute!