First hummingbird yesterday

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by zone1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I find it difficult enough to maintain one feeder, but I just bumped up to two again, cleansing and refilling them this morning. I relocated one shepherd's hook closer to the other (spacing 15'), just so that I could get it into the shade, because their bizarre behaviors have finally interested me enough for photographing.

This lady has both of you beat. She evidentally has a hummingbird fetish and even hand feeds the little critters. I had never heard of such a thing. Personally, I think it's best for the little hummers that they obtain their nectar from the tree sap and flowers, and I intend to have many more for them next spring. At this point, they are loving the petunias, cala lillies, day lillies, bee balm, hollyhocks and zinnias, and maybe even the gladiolus and cannas lillies... unsure.

One of my teenage male bluebirds just landed about 20' away, and he has become quite big.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
  3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    We had four most of this summer and a few days ago we had a bunch show up dancing and fighting. They all looked to be mature birds.
    Will babies only show up when they are full size?

muddhunter likes this.
  4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'm not sure, but I'm not sure I can tell the difference in a mature hummer and a hen hummer either.

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I just spied a juvenile male hummer. His little throat was glistening red, with the way that the morning light is disbursing. He is smaller and thinner than the adults. A female juvenile visited earlier, and her neck was pure white. Two were battling at the feeder 15 minutes ago, and perhaps it was them merely playing as siblings... no idea.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    These little birds began behaving differently yesterday and although unsure as to the reason(s), they have become thoroughly amusing! Two small females were, I presume juveniles, were going at each other for most of yesterday, and such seemed to be more of sibling play than anything else, but they became rather aggressive with one another at times, all the same. One new behavior is that they finally began perching upon the removed hardwood which is regenerating itself, directly beside the deck rail and one feeder. I had been letting the hardwood do so for their benefit, and three leads are now towering three feet above the feeder, with the winds causing all to frequently bend into the feeder. All is located only ten feet away from where my dogs and I typically sit, and these little birds no longer care. They have even recklessly flown within one foot of my face, while battling with one another. They are even battling upside down while perched, beaks acting like swords. I feel as if I am witnessing an epic fencing match.

I think that if I leave the hardwood to continue regenerating, which most certainly was not my intention, they may actually build nests upon it next year. They perch upon the huge leaf stems and then sit upon the huge leaves. All is rather cute and provides me with a better opportunity to photograph their unusual behaviors. A small male appeared this morning, and the two females weren't having any part of him. The females will rest less than one foot apart from one another, and they will even quietly sit beside my juvenile bluebirds up in the large hardwood further away, but when that male showed this morning, it was battle station alert. They are all the same size, and so I am not under the impression any of these have migrated in from up north yet, and that they are simply preparing to migrate, themselves.

7. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I’ve had feeders out all year. Had one come in early and never saw another till three weeks ago. Now I have like five regulars. Hell. May not be the same ones but there have been up to five out there lately.

8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    We usually run 4 feeders all year. Last week I dropped back to 3, in 2 weeks I'll drop back to just one and will pull it 3rd week of Oct, unless it gets cold sooner, then I'll pull it 2nd week.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    bowhunter269, Ataulbe1 and EC like this.
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    HuntressOfLight likes this.
  11. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Had a boat load of them suckers last year.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    As soon as I am finished drinking my morning hot tea, I am whipping up my very first batch of nectar for my miniature fighter pilots and hanging their first feeders. I am also purchasing my first batch of red petunias today, if I can find them in town this afternoon, for transplanting into the deck railing planters level with the shepherd hooks which hold the feeders, guiding my little fighter pilots in much like an airport runway lighting system. Ha !! :)

In the meantime, I am about to run off some obnoxious sounding starlings roosting directly overhead; their seconds here are numbered.

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I never did brew my hummer nectar, because of the multiple freeze and frost warnings for last week. Sunny and 73°F today with highs predicted in the upper 70's the following days; therefore, it is time!

Those cute little miniature helos have been spied within Kentucky now, per migration tracking maps:

"Paducah, Kentucky
    description
    4/3/2021 - two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds sighted, one at a feeder"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...Rf&ll=32.4313722349164,-91.54824744919674&z=5

I purchased an additional three feeders day before yesterday. It was a cash register impulse buy at the Dollar Tree, resulting in the red plastic cheapos. That puts me up to five new feeders, for a total of seven.

Purchased before then and awaiting tranfer into planters are both red and purple petunias for the little hummers, which will be done as the nectar cools.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    First miniature plastic hummer feeder hung moments ago, with two more to go here shortly and sugar now depleted resulting in grocery list addition. These red el cheapio feeders actually seem best suited for all, even though I do not like how they look. I would like to create my own later this year, when time permits.

I read that hanging all by fishing line takes care of the ant problems. They cannot climb it. That is what I just did.

A few red petunias have been transplanted and now rest beside it, with more to go and more to purchase. I am currently searching for the cardinal flower to purchase, as well, tons of them.