First hummingbird yesterday

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by zone1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Now, 6:55am, the other female juvenile just arrived and fight broke out.

6:58am, my little portly girl just perched upon the feeder directly above me, quickly fed, and the smaller female juvenile flew in attempting to feed from feeder 3 but had no such luck, being chased across the driveway with both almost crashing into the concrete birdbath. They have hit my bedroom doors quite a few times in the past. Intend upon covering them with reflective 3M tint.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 7:23 AM
  2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    7:29am three confirmed and possibly four... maybe more...consistently gusty winds the past few days.

7:36am Wind chimes just started singing for the first time.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 7:37 AM
  3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I am now convinced that orb weaver spiders really do stalk hummingbirds.

Whoa...serious wind gust just hit, after one with less intensity knocked my wheelbarrow down, which was propped up against the spare garage. I am estimating 40 mph.

A bluejay's alarmed calls alerted me to some kind of issue, causing me to walk past feeder 3 beside the back corner of the stand alone garage. Unbeknownst to me, a hummer had simultaneously been rounding the back of the garage from the other direction at high speed, and we almost collided at the feeder. I quickly stopped, as it quickly lifted off and headed back toward the orchard. That's when I noticed the humongous web and matching spider within it.

The web was attached to the shepherd hook and feeder, as well as the garage. I immediately destroyed it, causing the beast to run up to the overhang of the garage. This is an excellent article out of Georgia about the rescue of a juvenile male from one of the webs. It contains a great video about all, as well. I have decided it is worth closely monitoring all feeders upon a daily basis.

https://georgiawildlife.blog/2015/09/28/hummingbird-has-close-call-with-orb-weaver/

Greater than 40 mph gust blew through, as I continued tapping. Past time to prepare.

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    The 3" caliper dead sapling in which I have continually left for my hummers was blown over by the wind gusts. Instead of dragging it to Pyroville, I intend to replant it after the storm passes by, and even closer to feeder 3. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 4:21 PM
  5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    At least one hummer miraculously survived the storm, because I heard it fly by me without seeing it. Ha, make that two of them, one being portly little girll ! She has also taken to her newly replanted dead sapling. I zippy tied it to the shepherd's hook holding feeder 3, and she just perched upon it, after coming into the covered deck to feed from feeder 1 (less wind, blocked via my bedroom entrance upon the west and its walk-in closet upon the south). The sapling towers above box 3 by five more feet and contains an array of perches above the feeder. It's perfect! Looks much better than the previous coat hanger. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 4:21 PM
  6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I think that all of our hummers are gone

muddhunter likes this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    If so, maybe you will have migrators (not illegal aliens...).

I am absolutely loving the repositioning of my dead sapling and wish that I had done so during the spring. They love it too and are perching directly in front of me at close range, sometimes two at a time thus far. We just stare at one another now, instead of me seeing tail feathers above me all the time. I may have at least four, because I don't think they rounded the spare garage that quickly.

One is above me, and the other is chirping from the sapling.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Three juvenile hummers confirmed this morning, one being portly little girl. Not only that, but the beastly orb weaver spider had already recreated its vast web beside feeder #3 by 7:45am this morning. It had yet to connect it and was quickly removed again. This time, I moved the beast clear across the property and not near any deadwood. Will check upon it later.

Meanwhile, the hummers have continued to enjoy the relocated hummer sapling. It also had a few spider webs started this morning, with one spanning the expanse of the deck stairs beside it. All were removed. There was even a web started from the ceiling fan pulldown chain and onto the attached feeder #1, web since removed. Guessing much has to do with yesterday's big storm.

I've been slowly adding more glass hummer feeders to the post upon the previous page and intend upon adding more, whenever time permits itself. Last one added before 5:00pm yesterday. They might make for nice Christmas gifts, for your significant others.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Right on time, brief light rain started and ceased directly before the first one's arrival at 6:48am, with yet another one at 6:50am. Time to mix up some more hyper water for feeder #3 and hang it back near where the huge orb weaver spider used to be located; then search online for more glass feeders to post. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 7:30 AM
  10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Been about two weeks here. Probably safe for us to take down the feeders I guess.

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    8:25 am. Three hummers confirmed.

Being that the hummers' newly relocated dead sapling, a.k.a. hummer sapling, lacks branches below the shepherd's hook, whereupon feeder #3 hangs, I searched for some like Goldilocks, finding one that was "just right" and zippytied it to the tree. They now have a perch to sip hyperjuice from, as long as they desire and are already utilizing it to do so :cool:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I haven't seen any on our feeder. I think they have gone

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    You might better see them with this feeder for use by men. :D:p:D

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190796099/hat-hummingbird-feeder?ref=lx_share

Portly little girl perched upon the hummer sapling's new feeder perch while seriously stocking up for the night, departing for roost at 6:24pm. She was looking all about between sips for the others to swoop in but was left undisturbed. Chase did ensue throughout the day, though. Hopefully the others had simply opted for feeder 3 or were already resting.

More potential Christmas gifts for others added to the previous page and still searching.

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Just added a feeder to the previous page with @Lady Hunter in mind, due to previous bee/wasp issues she once mentioned experiencing. The designer used to work within a hummingbird aviary containing 30 feeders and responsible for them, garnering much knowledge as to needs. Tap item details for her helpful information. It's cute, but I still prefer to keep sugar away from plastic and most metals.