First hummingbird yesterday

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by zone1, Apr 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Hung another feeder yesterday, this time in the front yard. While watering flower beds beside that feeder thirty minutes ago, one hummer came out of the red maple holding the feeder for some water, because we need rain around here. It danced within the spray for me, first time this year. I absolutely love when they do that. I wet some of the maple leaves near the feeder, so that all may partake. Two of them buzzed within a few inches of my ear, earlier this morning, while they were in high-speed chase mode. Think they would continue with that behavior, even if I strung fifty feeders.

2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I can, now, personally confirm what I have read upon the net, regarding hummers loving red cardinal flowers. I saw a female hummer treating my four plants, as if she had found gold. She did not seem to miss even one of the many red blooms, late afternoon. I haven't even planted them. They remain within their original 5" plastic planters, the poor dears, within the shade over by the spare garage. I have, at least, kept them watered. I highly recommend them.

She may be the same one having visited the petunias today, as well. No idea, much hummer action around here of late. All I know for sure, is that this locale is in desperate need of rain. I am going to set up the sprinkler for them tomorrow, letting them enjoy themselves for a bit, even though I do not need to add to the enormous water bill.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've enjoyed the hell out of watching these critters this year. For those of you that have done this for years, how close together can you put feeders where they won't constantly battle? I'd like to put out 4-5 more next year. I was thinking 10-15' apart. Is that too close?

muddhunter likes this.
  4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    BE8143D0-B8C4-4928-8DB0-3CB169CC05F6.jpeg
    I’ve got a female and really don’t know what kind it is that sits on a thin dead limb overlooking 4 feeders I have out. Anything gets close to any of the four and she is ready to fight. Two are close together. One is 15 feet or so from the first two and the last is 30 yards out in the yard. If she isn’t running somebody off there are a couple others fighting for a spot at each one.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have one that sits on the shepherd's pole above my front feeder most of the day. Guards it like prison guard.

muddhunter likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    They fight regardless. We've tried everything from more space to more feeders. They fight

muddhunter likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I looked this up yesterday as the dog fights were taking place. Spilled coffee once while dodging them.
    What I found is they're territorial and will "fight" no matter how many or how few feeders you have, or how close or how far apart. The more feeders, the more birds, the more conflicts. I have a couple of mean little sh!ts buzzing around.

muddhunter and Meatstick like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Cool. I'm going to put out 4-5 more next year. lol.

00noturkey likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    One juvenile male coming in to feed is constantly chirping while doing so. New behavior, reason unknown. I do frequently hear them talking to one another, before seeing them. Although chasing one another, it usually seems friendly play.

Did a bit of reading about all today. Learned they spread out their wings lying flat upon a branch and hibernate each night, sometimes hanging upside down. They can fool you into believing they're dead, while in that state. They frequently build below hawk nests, for protection.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    AND, they sometimes snore while sleeping. Watched a cute video of one sound asleep and snoring.

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    The adorable snoring video is within this link:

https://boingboing.net/2012/11/12/the-cool-science-behind-a-real.html

My hummers are high energy today. It has been nonstop chase for them. I took the water hose with nozzle set to "shower", resting it atop my fountain within the hummer garden, for it all, and while the sun was shinning down upon it. It has been refilling the fountain, while spraying 2-3' above it wetting the leaves of an unwanted sapling. I watched my hummers chase one another all around it, for about an hour, refusing to fly through it or even perch upon the wet sapling. I left them to their business for a few hours with the spray still shooting, returning outside only thirty minutes ago. I have seen only one fly through it, barely skimming the water while in chase mode. All is now within the shade, but I intend to crank it up again tomorrow afternoon, merely in order to see whether they become accustomed to it.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We have two on our front porch & one on the back of our covered deck. I've watched the little aliens zip all the way around the corner of the house to try & fight and guard all 3 of 'em! I just ordered some more hangers & we're hoping to put up a couple more next year. Assuming the honeybees will leave 'em alone. They all disappeared about 3 weeks ago - it's been nice having our hummingbirds back!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    ^...truth! Read that while researching my lovely and poisonous red cardinal flowers. They have almost completed their bloom cycle and are now attempting to set seed. The pods remain green and have yet to begin opening, while a few of their blooms remain, continuing to draw my hummers. Other than their brilliant color, I really like the fact that most critters cannot manage to steal their nectar from my hummers.

I shall collect mega seeds off of these four, lone plants. Due to their placement within an area highly prone to drainage, up against the spare garage, I believe it best to bring most seeds inside and refrigerate them until next year, because they will likely be washed into the grass and mowed down next year. That new bed will be reworked before actually planting these four this week, regardless. I intend to give a few seeds the chance to naturalize over there without assistance.

Although I have many types of blooms continuing to feed my hummers, these and the scarlet bee balm draw them the strongest of all. They bloom at different times. They guard both like they do the feeders.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Been hanging out with my hummers most of the day and paying close attention to them. Haven't mentioned Rufus in quite a while, because all this time, I thought something had made a meal out of him. While still possible, I now have serious doubts, having almost ruled out the theory.

He simply lost weight and is now putting it back on with a quickness, in preparation of migration. He's been here all along is now my thought. Becoming portly round once again and defending his feeder with sage skill. He has reverted to guarding from closer in, perching upon the planter hook attached to the support beam leading up to the roof of the deck. He is chasing everyone at the moment. I refilled the feeder within the front yard.

Found this extremely well written article worth the read:

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/what-do-hummingbirds-eat.php