First Frost.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Carl, Sep 9, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky

39°F nearby, and I have been procrastinating beneath my toasty warm electric blanket but must soon get to work upon all. I have not experienced the first frost this season, not even a light one. May be ole man river's influence.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPAH.html

This states the average first frost is 10/27 for this general locale, but such was not based upon the last decade's records.

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates/KY/Paducah

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 4:41 AM
    davers likes this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Still procrastinating. No frost as of yet, but all is wet; therefore, I am about to jar the neighborhood awake, via cranking my leaf blower at 6:30am, removing most of the moisture on my flowers.

"...A local study done on frost formation relating temperature to dew point has these guidelines for frost: temperatures from 38 to 42 F can lead to patchy frost, 33 to 37 areas of frost, and 32 and below widespread frost/freeze. Note that the study did not factor in other considerations to frost, such as sky cover and wind speeds."

Source: NWS

3. No killing frost in sight down this way. Some good bedroom window up weather in fact.

53DAED36-26C6-4705-9E94-C50BA5EB99D4.png

barney and Feedman like this.
  4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Yup the mini split has been getting a break of the nights lately.. wish it would stay like this year round myself. Skeeters don't pack ya off porch sittin and cold weather doesn't seize my joints up

00noturkey and drakeshooter like this.
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

It's a perfect day to kick off the scrape/rub/seek phase.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Had a patchy bit of frost early this morning. Was just in patches, scattered and light. You had to look for it. Finished off the Okra.

Another score for the Katydids.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    You must be completely off your rocking chair to wish such a thing. I never did turn the heater on last night, just like I never did last year... never even utilized the new contraption for the AC this year, either, being that I basically chose to reside outside on the deck until most recently. Give me flowers, or give me death, and there best be many cut, beautiful roses placed upon my economically priced child-sized coffin too!

Paducah airport dropped to a non-blooming 34°F earlier this morning, for one hourly reading after last update, and the dewpoint was only 32°F with hardly any wind and clear skies, after dewpoint had been slightly below 45°F during sunset. I am rather surprised that no frost developed, per those conditions. It's possible that such occurred down in the low field, but I wasn't going to freeze and romp down there in 34°F temperatures, in order to learn that, being only my Maypop vine I care about down there.

The two airports directly north of me up in Yankeeville Southern Illinois recorded readings of 32°F, with low dew points at that time, meaning that my locale was likely experiencing conditions just between all. I think tonight has a good chance of causing frost, for it all, but such is not something in which I possess much experience since childhood, thankfully. Now that it's warmer outside, it's finally time to get out there and better prepare all for tomorrow morning's frost potential.

My gorgeous mum plants have surprisingly grown to a massive 2.0 height, 2.5 in width, and are all in full bloom at the moment, magenta and ivory alternated, almost crowding one another out of their circular bed before the front door. They are the only big bang of color throughout the entire subdivision right now, simply breath taking, and will require dividing come spring, for it all, if they survive their second winter.

"DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Saturday through Thursday

A frost advisory is in effect for portions of southeast Illinois,
    southwest Indiana, and western Kentucky for Saturday morning.
    Refer to the product for details.

Low humidity and gusty winds will heighten fire danger Saturday."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:05 PM
  8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    seen a few frosty windshields, been to dry for about a month, to try to burn. i think the smoke from CA burning has caused a change in the weather pattern. some of the greatest carbon footprints, in the US to affect the weather,. the lectures about carbon, footprints from CA, when they are the worst, excluding some other people.
    anyone mostly can set up a windmill, or get energy from the sun. maybe geothermal. it theory it works, but, in practice, depends on where ya live.
    love to see, hollowood, do without effects, that require explosives., or fire. apparently that dont count.
    i want the 1st person in california, thats an actor, to explain, how they do it, live, without fossil fuels, or make a living, without fossil fuels.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 8:08 AM
  9. Lemon tree been outdoors the entire fall so far, ain’t skipped a beat here in Calloway.

[​IMG]

Feedman, EC and barney like this.
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm assuming that's a dwarf lemon tree? I'd like to try this.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Very little frost here in Rob Co. Bottoms got it again but up on ridge was 37

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

yes, not as much as I was expecting. I think it was a few degrees too warm. Also not the deer movement I was expecting. Heard one shot all morning.

13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    It was dead all around us. Checked in with the neighbors not a one was saw between 6 hunters, crazy. I’m on the ground overlooking a hill full of acorns. Wind in my face. I’m not much on ground hunting but I only have a couple options for oaks on my place.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not cold enough to kill all the spiders in this blind so not cold enough.

15. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Had ice on the windshield this morning and white grass.