First for me!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by whitleycotrapper, Jan 23, 2017.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    [​IMG] Havent posted in a long time since the whole tapatalk thing. Had to share this one though. Been a tough season for me this year. A lot of work and a whole lot less hunting. Being in SE Kentucky doesn't help any either. There are a few birds to be had though. Woodies and mallards being the bulk of what we see. Saturday morning about 8:00 had a bird come in real high that started to circle our small spread (4 decoys). I knew it wasn't a mallard but I didn't recognize what it was right away since it was so high. It continued to circle and get lower each time. We had a young Hunter with is that morning and he had already killed two mallards so I was hoping this one would work in for him. On about the third pass I realized it was a pintail drake! It made a round the 4th time still out of range and about that time 4 mallards landed across from our spot on the far bank about 100 yards away. The pintail made his turn again and flew by on my side about 30 yards away but headed straight to the mallards. Unfortunate for the young boy we had with is but lucky for me. I was blessed to make a great shot and kill my first pintail ever! Good times. To bad season ends in a week. Would love to post a picture but of course this site won't allow even a cell phone picture because the file size is to large!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Gooch and FOWLER2671 like this.
  2. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    congrats

Download the app Picsart. It's free, you can crop, resize, and tons of other editing options.

3. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
  4. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Here ya go

Attached Files:

web splitter and Brsutton86 like this.
  5. turkeyfan

turkeyfan 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    Congrats on the Pintail.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
  7. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I've missed your reports Rusty.
    Good to see you posting again.
    And congratulations on a first of species !!

8. KY-WYWaterfowler

KY-WYWaterfowler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Morehead, KY
  9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Very nice bird. Congrats

10. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
  11. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Sweet. Had a drake hoodie land 25 feet from me last Sunday as I picked the decoys up. Got my first hen this Sunday. Congrats on a great bird.

12. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Thanks BM. Ive peeked in a few times to see who was killing anything. I don't get to spend much time at home on the desktop, and loosing the ability to use that tapatalk app made it so much more of a hassle to me to get one here and post. Had a pretty dismal season for the most part, but a successful one in my book because I got to introduce a few adults and one young gun to waterfowl hunting. Had a great time, killing a few birds here and there and watching Rico do some work. Only managed to kill three species of ducks this year, wood ducks, mallards, and that lone pintail. Drove by just out of curiosity today and took a peek at the place I killed that bird at.... there were several mallards and wood ducks, a few blacks, and five pintails sitting in there... go figure. Two big pretty drakes and two hens. Hope to get the new hunters on some geese before the end of season. Several hundred dollars worth of new Higdon diver decoys never even hit the water this year! Maybe next year......Started a little bit of a new hobby... tournament archery. Something to start working on after 2/15

13. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Thank you! Those drake Hooded Mergansers are one pretty bird. A great addition to the trophy wall if you get one. We usually kill several a year but with the limited hunting I got to do we never fired the first shot at one.

14. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np 6 pointer

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Congrats! That's awesome