First deer with a bow

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lost_in_the_woods, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    Yesterday morning I got in the stand right at shooting hours cause I messed around a little longer than I meant to putting out some scent and stuff. It was a decently morning for all the weather we have been having. At around 7 I hit the rattle bag and grunted a few times but produced nothing. I had been hearing a squeaking and finally figured out it was the platform of my stand. Somehow it was in a bad position and the rain had caused it to squeak a bit. I finally stood up to try to fix it and sure enough a doe had managed to sneak in from the right behind me. She took off and the noises that were made by the stand and then blew at me when I did adjust it but got the squeak gone. I sat there for about an hour just watching and letting things settle. Finally about 9 I decided to try the rattle bag again as I was just about sure with all the squeaking I was pretty well not gonna see a thing. I hit the bag pretty hard for about 30 seconds or so. Low and behold I look and here comes a deer in front of me. I decided right when I saw him I was gonna sling a arrow at him. He got behind a tree giving me time to stand up and as he walked behind a leaning cedar I got drawn back on the old Polar 2. He stepped into a small shooting lane and was keeping going when I stopped him and let the arrow fly. I heard the thud and watched him take off. I was afraid I had hit a bit back really. I waited 1.5 hrs before I even began to trail him. The blood trail was good and after around 100 yds or so I found the arrow. The blood was good and had no gut smell so I knew I had done better than I thought. I continued the track up to a point that the blood just stopped. After looking for a few more minutes I back out and waited until a bit after 2. A friend met me at the property and along with my niece we went to looking. We never could find a trail past where I had gone. They looked around that spot as I walked circles trying to find something to show where he went. After some back tracking and discussing I finally walked up to a neighboring property. As I walked into the field I looked and there he lay about 40 yds from the gate. He had been dead for a good bit as the flies were already on him. I had got a dead on liver shot and just clipped the top of the guts. No blood at all from the last point we had found. It was a great way to end the day and I was happy as could be with my first bow kill. A 40 yr old bow still gets the job done.
    2015 bow.jpg

2. Otdrsman85

Otdrsman85 Spike

Nov 28, 2011
    Awesome story and buck especially for your first bow buck. A good friend of mine bought a new hoyt in 2013 but still uses his old pearson spoiler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Nice deer and great story. Keep on hunting.

4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Great story and congrats on your buck.

5. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    Great story! congrats!

6. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
  7. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Very nice buck! Congrats to you.

8. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

That is great. I thought this was a throw back post when I first saw that bow. Congrats. That is doing it hard way with that ole bow.

9. easternkyhunter

easternkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    breathitt county
  10. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    A face only a mother could love.....;) Congrats! Job well done and a great first bowkill! Very glad you got it done!

11. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    That buck is a true trophy ! Congrats on your harvest

12. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    Thanks ya'll it has been a few years coming. I practiced hard this past couple months gettin the old bow sighted in right and making sure everything was spot on.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Isn't it a great feeling ....!!! Congrats on the first blood.

14. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I commend you on showing people you dont have to spend thousands of
    dollars to have great hunt. A big congrats on a super first bow buck.

15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Loved your story and props for getting it done. Great job.