First cool front coming this week!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by James Scott White, Sep 20, 2021.

1. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I know a lot of people have set schedules that allow them to hunt and many have success doing it. I’m fortunate enough to be able to hunt when the weather really tells me to. This week is the first real good cool front of this season. Temps are dropping 15-20 degrees and I’m stoked to finally get out!

Anybody else gonna take there first sit with this cool front?

2. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Really wish I could but between my work schedule and my wife’s Friday will be first evening I will be able to do it. Wanted to get set up on some acorns just before it hits

James Scott White likes this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    That be me

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Good luck everyone!!!

5. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ll be in Saturday morning
    Hopefully.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  6. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    would love to be out there also. However, work will not allow Good luck to you!

7. CKyleC

CKyleC Spike

Nov 8, 2011
    I'll be there.
    I've been itching to get in a tree, but I've promised myself this year to only hunt when the weather says "go!!".
    I'm really anxious to see what shows up Thursday

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I may take off Friday for my first sit. Temps will be the lowest so far and the pressure will be high around 8:00 to 10:00 am.
    Hope there isn't a squirrel nest in my stand.

9. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'll be out with hopes of filling my freezer with some does! Weather looks pretty good for the next week or so.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I'll be working cattle and putting in a corner post plus hanging a gate. Enjoy your time in the woods

11. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Yep, think Im gonna get out there if I can get all the grass cut! Seems like grass is growing as fast as does in the spring, really green too!

12. James Scott White

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Ditto. I overhunted my stands last year and it cost me. “Can’t kill em from the couch”, is all I heard growing up and I’ve discovered that’s actually false.

13. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    One comment on this ......... this is exactly why it is so important to consider entry and exit routes from your stand. Lots of folks can slip into a stand undetected, but they fail to have an exit where they can do the same. I try to get in and out without a deer ever knowing I was there. You always leave scent behind, but pay attention to where you leave it !!

14. James Scott White

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Yes! Great comment. Entry/Exit must be established before you ever even put up a stand… that said Just tonight I had a situation that I did not anticipate. I had several does come out late in the afternoon from an area/direction that I did NOT expect deer to travel. Watching where they went I had to take a different route out of my stand location to avoid spooking them. I believe I was successful.

Another comment, a lot of guys avoid atv/utility vehicles. I’ve found however, that deer do not spook nearly as bad, if at all, if I can drive past them as opposed to walking. I drive all over my place year round with the exception of bedding areas during season. Not only have I had more success driving a portion of my way in to the stand but I’ve found that deer won’t be nearly as hesitant to revisit that area, often I will see the same deer hours later even if it is just on camera. Note, I’m not talking about introducing your ride to the land on opening day of gun season for the first time, nor am I talking about parking under your stand. I’m talking about making sure your deer have heard/seen your ride time and time again and are not scared of it. Learning this has helped me as much as learning thermals. It’s big for me and the hills I hunt.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Agree. Where I hunt we simply have become predictable. Problem is land locked on 3 sides and only allowed 1 entrance. We can use some different paths but basically entering and exiting in the same direction. I’ve known for a while that we push deer just don’t know how to stop it. Hunt less, which is no fun.