First blood on my Prairie Panther AR-15

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by possumal, Aug 25, 2011.

1. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Made a trip this afternoon with Yote Yoda up to a new farm in northern Kentucky. We got there so late, and it was so darned hot, so we just picked out what we believed to be a good late afternoon setup. When I turned on the CS-24 with Coyote Yip Howls, two different groups really lit it up. Gave it a few minutes and switched to Coyote & Fawn, then Fawn distress, with a little pup distress mixed in. I saw two coming from about 400 yds away along a brushy creek ditch and Yote Yoda saw three more coming from a different direction. I stopped this big female about 150 yds out, and put the first bullet ever shot out of my Prairie Panther at a coyote right through her left shoulder, DRT. The CS-24 started screaming Coyote Death Cry when Foxbang activated, and Yote Yoda could never get a shot at any of the other three. We were both wringing wet with sweat, so all in all, it wasn't a bad day to break in my new rifle. She was a mature female and had raised pups this year, furred out surprisingly good for this time of year.

[​IMG]

2. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Congrats on the kill and what a sweet looking set up you have there.

3. buck shot

buck shot 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    letcher co KY
    She may had a hart attack when she seen that sweet A$$ gun. Way to take them out . Good shootin and good hunting to you.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on smokin a yote with the AR.

5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Al the last 2 i killed have had good fur also one in Mar and the other a couple weeks agoi think its because they have been in the big woods with lots of cover and plent of water.How do you like that Vortex scope? I have one and im getting another soon they are hard to beat IMO crystal clear optics after you get above the crossfire line.

6. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    good shooting big guy

7. skilch

skilch 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2009
    Oldham County
    Nice job! Can't wait to get out this fall.

8. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    riverboss, I like the Vortex scope a lot. That one is a Crossfire and it is clearer with better features than a lot of scopes that cost more. The only thing I would like better would be for just the part of the crosshair where the vertical crosses the horizontal to illuminate, or even just an intense small spot illuminate as opposed to the entire reticle illuminating when you engage that feature. I can see bulletholes in the black at 100 yds easily with it set on 10X. I am sure that the higher priced models are even more impressive.

9. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    very sharp AR, i have been wanting the dpms panther for a long time now, what else do you hunt with it? i assume its in the .223? whats the furthest shot you have taken with it?

10. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    30-30, that's the first coyote I have shot with it, so it has to be the farthest. I have only had the rifle a few weeks, and did a little target shooting. 3 shots at a coyote target at 300 yds would have all resulted in fur on the ground.

11. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    Thats awesome! Havent tried my luck yet this year, hope to get out soon

12. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    who makes the prairie panther? is it a dpms gun? as far as acurracy thats great, like i said i would love to have 1, you gonna deer hunt with it?

13. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    30-30, the Prairie Panther is a DPMS model, available in several camo patterns, several calibers, and varying barrel lengths. I don't hunt anything but predators and have no desire at all to shoot a deer with a high powered rifle. IMO, it is no challenge after hunting coyotes. I'm not against deer hunting, and would still like to hunt them with the bow, but my coyote hunting takes up all of my time, hardly leaving time for a good bobcat hunt or two.

14. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    did you get it from buds gun shop? It seem they have the best prices on a lot of stuff. i am pretty torn between the dpms, and the smith and wesson, as far as the camo pattern ve seen the snow and thats pretty sharp, but i think i am gonna stick with the black, i ve heard nothing but good from the dpms ar 15 line, as far as deer hunting i dont kill em for the sport, the rack, but for fresh meat it in the freezer, and only take what i need, now for predator hunting thats for the challenge

15. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    30-30, my rifle was a custom order from DPMS. Couldn't be more satisfied.