First attempt at summer sausage....

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
By the time you buy all the equipment to make it easier on yourself I don't know if you save any money. But there is something to be said for doing it yourself. Enjoy.

It pays off sooner than you think. The big plus is you know its your deer and know how its been treated and taken care of. I got buckshot in a batch I got back once. You may be getting someone's deer that's spoiled. You just don't know.

cobbhunts

12 pointer
Mar 18, 2004
richmond, ky, USA.
It pays off sooner than you think. The big plus is you know its your deer and know how its been treated and taken care of. I got buckshot in a batch I got back once. You may be getting someone's deer that's spoiled. You just don't know.
Well...Markwells, who LH referenced earlier, does not give you your deer back. All his meat goes into one batch and a lot of times you can drop your deer off and get the sausage back before you leave!! He is very picky about what he takes and does turn several away. But still....I like to know it was my deer as I really take care of them in the field.

riverview

8 pointer
Jan 27, 2014
On a hill in Hancock County
I think the one batch method is pretty typical of all you commercial processors. If I sounded negative in regards to making your own that was not my intention. I do all my own processing and have for years. To tell you the truth I get almost as much satisfaction from that as the hunt itself.

Latest posts