Firearm Suppressors

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Glendale John, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Anyone using one? Some stands I use and could use are close enough to residential developments that high powered weapon noise could be a potential problem to the landowner and then my use of that area. I've looked into firearm suppressors of various designs and cost which would include having to machine my existing rifle or find some existing unit that uses some sort of clamp-on system.In any case they are expensive plus the permit cost. I'm wanting to find out if others using suppressors think their results justify the investment? Thanks!

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    check out predator masters theirs alot of info on it about cans, I would love to have one but at what it cost no thanks

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Thats my reason for still owning a 22 mag. Some places even a shotgun blast would be too much for the neighbors. The cost of owning a supressor for the few times it would be needed each year is just too much. And 22 mags have come a long way since my first one. Several models are fairly accurate now. Jimmie

4. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I've been wanting one for awhile but just can't bring myself to spend the money.

5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Go over to southeasterncoyote.com there's a fellow there named WldWldWest who has several cans, hunts with them, and pretty much knows the in's and out's of them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    If you have any machining/fabrication abilities at ALL, you can easily build a decent suppressor for around $50-100. You'll have to do the BATFE Form 1 and get approved/pay the $200 for the stamp, etc. to do it legally.

7. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Thanks all, might try a build according to some plans I took off the net. Still, when it comes to any maching of my rifle to receive one, I can't nut-up enought to try that...sooo... need to find a Ky. smith that can .

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Technically speaking, a gunsmith that knows he's threading your barrel to accept a suppressor, needs your Form 4's from the ATF before he can thread it for a suppressor. I am a gunsmith, is how and why I know. That said, if you request to have your barrel threaded for a muzzle brake, that just happens to use the same, exact thread size, pitch and length as the suppressor that you plan to use...all is good. FWIW

9. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    You can not even buy a suppressor with out the proper paper work from the Gov. ATF or what ever . If you do go this wrought make sure you know how to fill out the form the right way because if they turn you down will never get a second chance ,Your black balled for life. If you have any kind of record you will not get it either and if you get caught with out the paper work it's 25 or 250,000 thousand fine and 20 years in the pen. You have to register the can you are buying and if you make your own it has to have a Ser. Number and be register with the ATF. It can take months or years for them to do there thing. It's just more hassle then it is worth. Here is a place you can read up on the laws for this kind of thing. I hope kentuckyhunting.net doesn't get mad for me posting this web sight and I would not do this but I'm only doing it to help this person stay out of prison .. ar15 dot com is were you can find all the info..

10. Greenwilly

Greenwilly 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2006
    Shelby Co.
    if you want a legit suppressor go buy it right now. The waiting time keeps getting longer and longer. Been waiting 6 months for mine and will probably wait another two to three :-( It's not a hard process at all, anyone who sells them can walk you through it. As long as your not a felon you're good to go. Just takes $200 and a lonnnnng wait. Good luck

11. Hagan34

Hagan34 Spike

Jan 11, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    If your going to buy one you should really set up a trust. that way you can name anyone to the trust and they can then use the CAN without you having to be there. It can also make it more reasonably priced if you are sharing the cost between a couple of people.

12. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    WRONG and WRONG.
    If you make a mistake on you form 4 (to transfer) or Form 1 (to make) it gets kicked back to you for corrections, costing you more time but does not get you "blackballed." And current wait times are in the 6 month range currently, give or take a month or so. You need to do some more homework on more reputable NFA-related sites like nfatalk.org and silencertalk.com before handing out what you read on ar15.com as fact.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  13. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009

Thanks for the real web sights quickdraw I didn't know they were around and I'm NOT a big fan of ar15 anyway ..
    OK so you don't get blackballed if you do it wrong but were else was I wrong? It takes at least 6 months to get it done ( If there not buisy) and since it is an election year again and the end of the world ( LOL) if you wait a couple more months it may take a year or if you do it wrong and it gets kicked back and takes another 6 months then it is a year long wait ..

14. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    GO HERE and HERE if you want to see real world data on wait times. Sometimes it takes six months, some times it takes nearly a year. Some times it takes less than two months, and steps seem to be in place to make that more common.

15. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Mike, I may call you to thread my .270 for a muzzle brake ;)