Fire grate, griddle, cowboy cooking

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by kyoutdoorsman, Aug 17, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Anyone ever made a griddle or fire pit grate for cooking , if so what type of metal did you use for long term use or any ideas. I know Cabela's sales stuff like this but is the metal cheap and rust fast versus making it your self

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    This is a sweet set up if you’re cooking for a mess of folks. Expanded metal for the cooking surface mostly.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Fish around on Amazon and eBay. Not sure about a fire pit grate but I bought a nice griddle from Amazon a few years back that I haven’t even used yet. Need to get that out!

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've built a fire pit and then cut some expanded metal to use to cook on it. Other than the expanded metal being sharp, It's worked fine. I've also got some of the cooking grates sold at Walmart/Cabelas. For casual camping, they seem to hold up ok. I've had them for probably 10 years now.

(as an aside, most manufactured things sold under a specific store's label are made by the same factory. so one of these grates sold at Walmart and one sold at Cabelas are most likely made by the same factory.)

JR in KY likes this.