Finish downed deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cracker0169, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
    I have a question for you guys. I am a novice bow hunter but have gun hunted my entire life. I had an incident last night that made me think a bit. What do you do with a downed deer shot with a bow? I shot a doe last night with my bow and hit high with a spine shot. She went down immediately but I could see the arrow stuck in her spine. With the arrow stuck, she wasn't bleeding out very quickly. Ive never had that problem with my .270 since death is usually instant, no need for a second shot. I cant stand to watch a critter suffer. Do I sling another arrow, pull out my carry pistol and finish the job, or leave the area and let her lay for an hour or better suffering? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    Put another arrow in the boiler room.ASAP

3. kyduck1

kyduck1 8 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    You should shoot the deer again with an arrow. Even though it may seem more humane to expire the deer with a gun it's illegal until gun season opens. Be careful with your post.

4. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    My exact thought also. Archery season is just that. ARCHERY. Next time do a follow up shot with an arrow.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Ive had to do that twice on spine shot deer. Put another arrow through the lungs ASAP

6. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
    Thanks guys. When she went down, I couldn't see her anymore for a follow up shot. I could hear her in the leaves in a thicket but didn't want to climb down (summit climber) and take a chance of jumping her and spending all night in the woods tracking a deer. Like I said Im new to bow hunting and this was my second deer with an arrow.

7. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    If you don't want waste another twenty dollar arrow climb down and cut her throat, it's a bit barbaric but affective I've had to do it twice in 27 years of hunting but with the cost of arrows and broadheads these days I think it's worth it. Now understand this only applies with does not bucks its not worth you getting injured but if she's paralyzed there's no real danger as long as you don't have a weak stomach put her down.

8. Maddog10

Maddog10 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2010
    Last year I spined a doe and she was behind some brush after going down so I couldn't get a follow up shot from the stand. Instead of listening to her suffer, I climbed down and walked right up to her and put one through both lungs and the heart. She was dead within seconds. I ruined another broadhead while doing so, but it was worth it to me to put her out of her misery. Nobody wants to see them suffer. Since then I keep one of my decomissioned broadheads in my quiver just for this type of scenario. I know a lot of people that do the knife to the throat thing, and it works. I don't think I really have it in me to do it, so I choose a follow-up shot.

9. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    To add to my earlier comment. five years ago I arrowed my largest buck with a bow. (no gaint but nice) I hit him high in the spine, he dropped like a rock and did the death shake. I didn't not choose to do a follow up shot. Instead I started to shake,set down,and called my friend who was about 100 yards away in excitement. He couldn't see me but he was watching the deer as I shot. Out of no where he staggered up behind some brush and slowly walked off stiff legged. I could not believe what I was seeing. We found two drops of blood and no deer. I still wake up in cold sweats over that. Stick em till you are out of arrows!