Finally !!!!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by shadrock, Jan 19, 2013.

1. shadrock

shadrock Spike

Feb 14, 2012
    Pleasant View, TN
    I have been trying to harvest a predator with a .22 magnum rimfire now for many years. I have done much research on the topic and have asked questions on the subject on this forum. Jimmy has been most helpful on this topic. I have come to the conclusion that the .22 mag is more than enough gun within its limitations. I believe shot placement is crucial as with any game and the proper bullet selected for the job at hand. As with any game animal and cartridge a wise maximum range should be established. It is the responsibility of the hunter to stay within these limitations and to place the bullet in the proper place when the oppotunity is presented. Having said all that friday was a good time to be in the field. Harvested a large female (40 lbs) at 35 yrds with a 40 gr. winchester sjhp. She collapsed in her tracks. She moved her head some and twirled her tail some. After a few minutes it was all over. I have more respect now for the 22 mag cartridge than ever. Im sure they wont all go this well and i know its far from the ideal yote cartridge. But when hunting in areas that dont allow center fires or its not wise to use a center because of the close proximity to homes or highways it is a viable option and one should not feel under gunned.

2. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Fawn

Dec 3, 2011
    Marion co. Lebanon, ky
    Im in the market now for a .22mag. I have always wanted one and now that my son is wanting me to take him coon calling Ive got a reason to buy one.

3. deerdad

deerdad 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2010
    Henderson
    Congrats on the dog!

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Glad to hear ya got it done. Just like with any other cartridge you get all sorts of reaction . And you learn to watch reaction closely too if you use it a lot. We have had to expand search circles to find downed animals because there will rarely be a blood trail. Usually they are down within 80 to a 100 yards if hit good. But out of all I have shot with a 22 mag only one round went completely through, it just happened to miss bones.

It is a viable option for those places where you are limited to such rounds for some reason. And the Marlin rifles have been the most accurate so far. But even among the options in marlin rifles I wouldn't spend the money for the bull barrel over the standard barrel.For the tiny diference in accuracy it's not worth the extra few dollars and added weight. Jimmie

5. shadrock

shadrock Spike

Feb 14, 2012
    Pleasant View, TN
    Your right jimmie. I was totally surprised when the dog just folded up. I fully expected her to whirl and head back where she came from. I thought i might have got the spine. The shot was a little high tight behind the shoulder. I found the entrance hole but it took more searching than i thought. I spent some time looking for the exit hole. Didnt find one so i assumed it was still in the dog. My brother wanted the hide so he came over saturday to carry the dog to the taxidermist. I told him to ask the taxidermist if he would save me the carcass so i could do a little csi work on it. I just want to learn as much as i can about bullet performance based on what the bullet hit in the animal. I found an exit hole in the carcass but did not know if it went through the hide. Animal hide is very elastic and does a good job at catching mushroomed bullets. I spoke with the taxidermist today and he said the bullet had made it through the hide. From my investigation of the body i found that the bullet hit no shoulder or spine and hit no ribs on either side. Your right about no blood. Not a drop of blood where she laid. Im just gonna focus on bullet placement and getting them as close as possible. She was so focused on the decoy she had no idea what had happened.

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

There is so little damage done by this round that the under fur soaks up what little leaks out. I had 3 bullets that I recovered from just under the hide. They expanded to the size of a pencil eraser and that was it. Each had hit rib bones.

Those that hit shoulder blade only made it into the body cavity.

Back in my younger days I was like you. I wanted to know exactly how each round performed in everything I hunted with a rifle. Lots of good lessons can come from doing it. It can get pretty nasty sometimes though ;-) Jimmie

7. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Fawn

Dec 3, 2011
    Marion co. Lebanon, ky
    Jimmie, In your experience what do believe is the maximum effective range for this caliber on yote's with good shot placement?

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

75 yards with a good bullet such as the jacketed hp available. And quite frankly haven't tried it any further myself.

Remember that this is a low powered round. At 70 or 80 yards you can hear the bullets impact since it is so much slower than high power rounds. I just don't trust that it will have enough energy much farther than this. Jimmie