FINALLY ... "The GOP is debating whether Reaganomics needs an update"

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I would not go as far as saying unions priced themselves out of the market causing a company to relocate overseas. IMO, it is alot about Greed........Having kids or the poorest of poor working for pennies and avoiding the laws on wages and worker safety, add that they also still call themselves an American company sheds alot of light on motive. These trade agreements are tilted for a reason, soon the serviced based economy will run out of people to service.....die on our own sword will be the effect of the cause. GDP will flat line unless we produce something other than debt, and we are soon going to see that.
Agreed. I definitely over simplified. Our economy is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. I get into all kinds of arguments with my buddies that went to executive MBA programs frequently. Granted I'm just a dumb contractor, but They cannot convince me that not making anything tangible is a good idea. I also think it is stupid that our dollar is based on nothing.

High Rack

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2009
in the hills
Agreed. I definitely over simplified. Our economy is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. I get into all kinds of arguments with my buddies that went to executive MBA programs frequently. Granted I'm just a dumb contractor, but They cannot convince me that not making anything tangible is a good idea. I also think it is stupid that our dollar is based on nothing.

A service based economy will work for a time, the thing that is still pulling this train, is the Dolla being the reserve currency. Add the fact that every other country minus Germany "which is carrying the Euro" has also gone all in on QE and ZIRP, keeps the Dolla #1. When the Swiss got off Gold, all Fiat became nothing more than Monoply money.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
A service based economy will work for a time, the thing that is still pulling this train, is the Dolla being the reserve currency. Add the fact that every other country minus Germany "which is carrying the Euro" has also gone all in on QE and ZIRP, keeps the Dolla #1. When the Swiss got off Gold, all Fiat became nothing more than Monoply money.

What would happen if somehow the dollar was no longer the reserve currency? China, Australia, and a couple other countries are now buying oil from OPEC in their own currencies. They are no longer purchasing in US dollars. The response I always get is, "that won't happen." My question is, what if it does?

Last edited:

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
It is real simple folks.....Get the Government out of our way and our lives as much as possible, and let us keep as much of our own money as possible. Together with a producing our own energy this country will take off like a rocket. The same RINOs that complain about conservative GOP tactics are the same ones that derail them by passing bad law, and spending/taxing policies. They need to actually try the policies before they complain about them being ineffective.

Last edited:

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Take a look at Indiana. Pence has lowered taxes, but done everything he can to cut public and private unions off at the knees and the average income has gone down.

I can speak from direct experience that Indiana 's economic situation is causing wages to go up. The company I work for has its headquarters in Ky. They recently built a plant in Indiana specifically because they're a Right To Work state and the company is tired of dealing with the union at their Ky plant.

The new plant is located in a new industrial business park. We were one of the first tenants there. The wage we set has others following. Now as other businesses open up, they're surprised to find out what our wages are. They thought they were only going to have to compete against the warehouse worker wages in the area until they find out they have to try to compete with ours (btw, light manufacturing).

And a concern of my company is that with new businesses opening and paying competitive wages to ours, how are we going to retain our workers? I spend a lot of time in meetings about wage increases.

Oh, and my salary is on the high end here for someone with my experience in my field. I don't know anyone in Ky that pays what I make for my position.

Art

12 pointer
Nov 27, 2004
Lexington, KY
The ONLY thing Republicans are trying to fix is their image problem with the uneducated, lazy, and perpetually victimized people. They have consistently lost ground as the Democrats fund an ever growing class of poor, uneducated, and unskilled people that are totally dependent upon big government from the cradle to the grave. Republicans know that it's impossible to win elections with this growing class entering the voting booth with one goal in mind- to elect the party that will put the most in their outstretched hand and ask the least in return. Republicans know that all of the illegal immigrants that Obama wants to make citizens are voting democrat. Democrats control most all of the media and pop culture, and actively convince people that if they vote Republican, they will end up in slavery again, being forced to work for old racist white guys and will be forced to make ends meet on a minimum wage. If you vote democrat, they'll make those white guys pay up, and you won't have to do jack to live the good life.

From here until the country eventually collapses, any party that wants to win an election will have to buy votes through entitlements and handouts.

HillBillyFiveO

8 pointer
Aug 15, 2005
Newport, KY
The ONLY thing Republicans are trying to fix is their image problem with the uneducated, lazy, and perpetually victimized people. They have consistently lost ground as the Democrats fund an ever growing class of poor, uneducated, and unskilled people that are totally dependent upon big government from the cradle to the grave. Republicans know that it's impossible to win elections with this growing class entering the voting booth with one goal in mind- to elect the party that will put the most in their outstretched hand and ask the least in return. Republicans know that all of the illegal immigrants that Obama wants to make citizens are voting democrat. Democrats control most all of the media and pop culture, and actively convince people that if they vote Republican, they will end up in slavery again, being forced to work for old racist white guys and will be forced to make ends meet on a minimum wage. If you vote democrat, they'll make those white guys pay up, and you won't have to do jack to live the good life.

From here until the country eventually collapses, any party that wants to win an election will have to buy votes through entitlements and handouts.

Spot on! And since we've seen the illegals are getting tax credits going back three years, why would they vote for anyone else, but the libtards providing them with EVERYTHING?? Sinking, and gonna keep on sinking at a steady rate!

Floyd T.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Even pro-labor guys have to recognize that organized unions are at least partially to blame for their own demise. And I'm speaking as someone who's father was in a union for 38 years. Dad flat told me to stay away from joining a union if at all possible.

Just speaking from my industry alone, I can name 5 companies that were completely destroyed by unions who would not budge on contracts, knowing what they were asking was untenable to the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brit's and Birds

10 pointer
Nov 24, 2008
Oldham County
U
Even pro-labor guys have to recognize that organized unions are at least partially to blame for their own demise. And I'm speaking as someone who's father was in a union for 38 years. Dad flat told me to stay away from joining a union if at all possible.

Just speaking from my industry alone, I can name 5 companies that were completely destroyed by unions who would not budge on contracts, knowing what they were asking was untenable to the company.

This. For a union to be successful in protecting their members, their mission MUST be twofold. 1)negotiate the best pay/benefits for their members, and 2)understand and work to make the company the best and most profitable they can. It is the second where they fall short. They negotiate based solely on their members and in turn often end up pushing to far, causing the company to move more of the workforce internationally, or worse, close its doors. They need to work with the company to compromise on the best benefits for their members that also do not push the employer to seek less costly measures. Just look at Detroit - the only major US city to file bankruptcy. Just so happen to also be one of the biggest pro-Union cities in the nation. They got too greedy and pushed too much and look at what happened.

Unions had their place once upon a time, and still have a role. But the current Union model is broken as it pushes the employers too far and are actually costing jobs.

possumal

10 pointer
Jun 21, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky.
Everybody can find something to blame in their life. However, I doubt seriously that working class people making more money has every cost this country anything. You give a working person more money and they will spend it and everybody wins. The big corporations can outsource and they make even more money, but the working class's income gets stuck on hold. It was not the working class or the unions that created false property values and subsequent imbalanced loans which nearly sunk our ship completely.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Everybody can find something to blame in their life. However, I doubt seriously that working class people making more money has every cost this country anything. You give a working person more money and they will spend it and everybody wins. The big corporations can outsource and they make even more money, but the working class's income gets stuck on hold. It was not the working class or the unions that created false property values and subsequent imbalanced loans which nearly sunk our ship completely.

It hurts when the money comes at the expense of the solvency of the company that provides that money. If the labor costs for a company are no lingers tenable, and the corporation goes belly up, who wins then? It's a balance, I'll give you that, but making a blanket statement that more money for the worker means everybody wins fails to capture the entire scope of the economy.

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA

You make it sound like people are still working for the company store.

Latest posts