FINALLY ... "The GOP is debating whether Reaganomics needs an update"

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
Phillips, WI / Grayson, KY
The debate is ramping up as Republicans come to grips with the fact that their economic plans have not in recent years delivered the results they’d like at the presidential level.
Republicans are wrestling with the question of whether their tax-cutting message has lost potency — and what new ideas are there to deal with the twin problems of relatively slow growth and long-stagnant wages.
“There’s a recognition that folks in the middle and bottom of the income distribution are in need of [new] policy solutions,” said Michael Strain, an economist at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute who has pushed hard for conservatives to consider more targeted measures for those workers. “And I expect there to be an effort on the right to address that with policy. I think that’s starting now.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...6ab7d8-b5fa-11e4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html

riverview

8 pointer
Jan 27, 2014
On a hill in Hancock County
I think it does. The general principal behind GOP economic policy is that lowering taxes on the "job creators" allows them to retain more profit which they then use to raise workers wages. The problem with that is they have no incentive to raise wages and by actively undercutting the only real tool available to secure a share of the gains created by the economy the working class has suffered.

riverview

8 pointer
Jan 27, 2014
On a hill in Hancock County
If they did nothing with the current economic policies and took a stance supporting labor instead of undercutting them at every opportunity, the working class would start seeing a larger share of the economic growth.

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA
If they did nothing with the current economic policies and took a stance supporting labor instead of undercutting them at every opportunity, the working class would start seeing a larger share of the economic growth.

More fat union bosses to the trough,that makes perfect sense! There is a reason union membership is on the decline.

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
Lost potency? No kidding!! When over half the population doesn't pay taxes and importing more, cutting taxes is a flat issue.

It is clear that Reaganomics is much more effective than hope and change. You know for the middle class anyway.

I don't think you understand the premise of the article. This is about R's rethinking their own platform regarding the effectiveness of Reaganomics,

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
U
I think it does. The general principal behind GOP economic policy is that lowering taxes on the "job creators" allows them to retain more profit which they then use to raise workers wages. The problem with that is they have no incentive to raise wages and by actively undercutting the only real tool available to secure a share of the gains created by the economy the working class has suffered.

Sorry, I misunderstood the point you were making. Interesting point of view ... I agree with your perspective, although I hadn't considered the issue from that angle.

Wildcat

12 pointer
Jan 7, 2002
Ledbetter, Ky.
I don't think you understand the premise of the article. This is about R's rethinking their own platform regarding the effectiveness of Reaganomics,

I have no idea where you are reading that but can you ever read English??

That's NOT what the article is about. Like ALL PARTIES do a couple years or so before a election they debate on what their "message" is and how to best put that forward. Hell, just 3 months ago the Democrats did the very same thing when they were starting to use what they found out in the last mid term election to use in the up coming president election. The Democrats are debating on if they are going to keep Obama's message of the far left going or if they need to change and move more to the middle. Does that mean the Democrat Party is going to pull away from Obama as much as possible before the election??

God, you grip at anything possible that MIGHT be what you try to push on others. You know something, 4 years ago they had the SAME DEBATE and 4 years before that they again had the same debate.

Learn something once in your life, EVERY election EVERY PARTY has the same debate inside their own parties. Do they change their platform or what and if so how much. That is NORMAL and not news to anyone that understands.