Finally hit paydirt!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JGD, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    I've been dealing with this bird(sorry no pics), and his harem on and off since Sat. Had two hens with him when he left the roost this morning. Would answer my calls but flew the way his ladies went. Watch them cross a big cornfield so I did an end around and got in a fenceline in their direction of travel. Peeked through and he's out about 100 yrd. in a 1/2 strut. He is already looking my way and I actually think he has seen me but I snapped a little twig and he folds up and starts angeling toward my direction. I lose track of him as he moves behind some thick bushes. As am looking out about 75-80 yrd. trying to relocate him I catch movement a little to my right and there he is very close looking right in at me. After a couple of tense moments getting my gun up and waiting for him to clear a little sapling I get my chance. Best bird ever. 26.5 lbs. 10 3/4 beard and 1 1/2 hooks. JGD.

2. huntindawoods

huntindawoods 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2007
    Congrats on your kill, sounded like an exciting hunt!!

3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Congratulations! I enjoyed your story.

4. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    Congrats - sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do