Finally got my First one for the season!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by whitleycotrapper, Apr 17, 2013.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Great morning here in Whitley County. Storm rolled through early but wasn't to bad. Was set up at 6:00 pretty much blind as I had not roosted any birds the night before. Just went with my 8 years experience on this farm and what the birds do there when it rains. These birds always seem to roost in the general area I was in though. Had birds all around me, in all directions. I think this one was roosted less than 100 yards from me. Had another 150 yards from me that I could see strutting in the tree. Gobbled their heads off from 6:35 till 6:45 then flew down and shut up. I knew that a couple of the birds had to be able to see my decoys from the tree so I sat and waited for a bit. About 6:55 I had just called and heard a gobble way off in the bottom and I was going to try and make a move on him. I called again and he answered but I saw some movement straight behind my decoy and its a tail fan. This guy struts right up and never made a sound. He got up to B-mobile at 35 yards and gave him a swift kick and moved on to my hen decoy. Another bird started to come up over the hill and he turned to face him in full strut. I had to turn slightly to my right and when I did the second bird spotted me and putted. He picked up his head and I hammered him at 30 yards. Not so much a great big bird but I'm not complaining. Nice two year old with a 9 1/2" beard and 7/8" and 1" spurs, weighed in at 20 lbs 13 oz. Thanks to GOD first and foremost for giving me today and sending the bird I prayed for before the hunt and thanks to my brother at GooseCreek GameCalls for my sweet talking double glass pot call and the mouth calls you gave me last year! Will post up some pictures when I get some with my kids. Has been a tradition since my daughter was born to take pictures with my spring turkeys and I get to add my son Camden to that tradition this year! Hope everyone has a blessed day!
    Well with the rain coming down I wont get to take any pictures any time soon but I got some I took in the field this morning so Ill add them cause we all know these threads are useless without pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. cityslicker1987

cityslicker1987 6 pointer

Sep 30, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats and cool story. I love the tradition you have with your family. When I start having kids, I think I will do the same.

3. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I think its great. My daughter is only three but I have pictures of me and her with both spring birds from the past two seasons, and will have them both in there this year. Its neat to be able to see how much they change from year to year, and I cant wait till dad gets to be the addition to the picture when its their birds we are taking pictures of.

4. gobbleman

gobbleman 6 pointer

Apr 26, 2010
    Celina,Tennessee
    Very nice gobbler,congrats!!

5. cityslicker1987

Sep 30, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah that will be awesome. They will be saying "its neat to see how dad changes from year to year." haha

6. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Jalyn in 2010 at 3 months old
    [​IMG]
    Jalyn 1 year old in 2011 with her mommys first bird
    [​IMG]
    with me in 2011
    [​IMG]
    Jalyn 2 years old in 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And today at 3 years old in 2013
    [​IMG]

7. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    [​IMG]
    Little Brother Camden
    [​IMG]
    Both of them.
    [​IMG]

8. TurkeyFoot

TurkeyFoot 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2006
    Taylor County
    Beautiful bird and beautiful kids!

9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Nice. I was hunting in Whitley last Saturday and they were very quiet also. Could not get an answer after 7:00.

10. cityslicker1987

Sep 30, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Great Pics with the family!

11. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Awesome...congrats!!

12. turkeythug

turkeythug Fawn