Finally Got Drawn

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Congrats!!!!! My advice; If you don't live close to the elk zone, hire a guide, and do it quickly. The better outfitters will book in just a few days. Good luck!

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Pendleton and Campbell County Ky
Congrats! Hiring a guide will save time money and reduce stress. You now have one job and that is to make sure you and your equipment is on point. I experienced issues with my new drop away rest while i was hunting and it cost me an elk. I should have left it be and stayed with my old rest or shot more after my equipment change. I was over confident in my abilities and i did not get it figured out fast enough. If you are going to make a change do it now and shoot a bunch between now and then. You need to be confident and deadly at 65 yards.
After putting in for the elk draw in Kentucky for 17 years, I finally got drawn. Got drawn for the bull archery tag and could not be happier. Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcome.

gds

8 pointer
Jan 2, 2005
NORTHERN KY.
Get in shape, those hills are pretty steep. Enjoy the hunt . You'll never get over it. I hope you get so close to one that you can smell it . GOOD LUCK !

inchr48

10 pointer
May 14, 2013
NW Indiana
Congrats, and carnivore is spot on.
After about a dozen stalks, I finally got a shot at my cow in '13. Took a 57 yard shot to seal the deal.

I made an approximate cow sized target out of burlap to practice on. No dots to aim at on those big brown beauties. Shot a 4 pin sight out to 75 yards all summer, and wore a path to my target.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Elk Target Range.jpg
    Elk Target Range.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 230

JAWS

Fawn
Nov 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY.
Congrats! Hiring a guide will save time money and reduce stress. You now have one job and that is to make sure you and your equipment is on point. I experienced issues with my new drop away rest while i was hunting and it cost me an elk. I should have left it be and stayed with my old rest or shot more after my equipment change. I was over confident in my abilities and i did not get it figured out fast enough. If you are going to make a change do it now and shoot a bunch between now and then. You need to be confident and deadly at 65 yards.
Will do! Just came home with a new Matthews Triax, so now I have a back up just in case.

JAWS

Fawn
Nov 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY.
Congrats, and carnivore is spot on.
After about a dozen stalks, I finally got a shot at my cow in '13. Took a 57 yard shot to seal the deal.

I made an approximate cow sized target out of burlap to practice on. No dots to aim at on those big brown beauties. Shot a 4 pin sight out to 75 yards all summer, and wore a path to my target.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Shoot that new bow every day several times per day. You want any range shot to be instinctive. You won't regret
the practice. Aim small miss small! Good Luck!

Latest posts